What do you feed a 1 year old with only 2 teeth?

My daughter only has her two front bottom teeth. She very much prefers feeding herself....which means that baby food is pretty much out. She lets me feed her cereal in the mornings but that's about it. Here are somethings she likes and is able to eat and feed herself.....peas, noodles, the gerber graduates-yogurt bites,crunchies, and puffs, cut up grapes, eggs....
So you get the idea the kind of things she already eats....any other ideas for things that will be nutritious for her?

usmcmom29

Asked by usmcmom29 at 9:33 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I feed my 1 yr old who just got one tooth with another coming in next to it, anything I am eating. As long as it is safe of course. Since most children don't get the molars AKA "chewing teeth" until around 2 or so, they don't use their teeth for chewing. They gum their food to smash it. Just make sure what you feed is soft and palatable, and is in small enough pieces for her to swallow hole if need be.
    Angel8203

Answer by Angel8203 at 9:36 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Your doing pretty good. How about adding cheerio's and other diced fruits?
    MomToFour247

Answer by MomToFour247 at 9:36 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• My daughter didn't get her first tooth til her first birthday and she was eating everything and anything at that point. Meats and all. The PP is right, they use their gums mostly, and it sounds like you're exposing her to a lot of different types of foods.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:41 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• my daughter has 3 teeth and she loves meatballs!
    AddysDogBear

Answer by AddysDogBear at 11:31 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• My 14 month old now has three teeth, with two more breaking through. She's been eating for months now without any problem. She eats meats, all kinds of fruits and veggies, cheese, waffles, cheerios, and so on. She has never had a problem. We just make sure they are cut small and that she chews. She has always been pretty good at it. They don't need their teeth necessarily to chew or eat...the power of the jaws is enough.

Just start out with small, soft things!!!
    BriMom2007

Answer by BriMom2007 at 11:58 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Something I learned that will probably help you out so that you can cut things up really small is to use the kitchen shears (the scissors that come with your knife block) to cut food up. They work great, you can cut the food into tiny pieces and not smash it to death. I fed my son bagels with cream cheese, french toast sticks, lots of pastas, all of these were cut up really small. Believe it or not though they figure it out with or without teeth. I have seen kids without teeth put away just about anything. Good luck, hope this helped.
    Shannon0622

Answer by Shannon0622 at 12:09 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Wow maybe i need to make a post. Now from reading this I'm wondering if I should be concerned for my daughter is 10 months and has 9 teeth. So for this question think about older people who have no teeth they can still eat steak. They just gum it so a child can learn to do the same, not saying to give them steak though just using that as an example.
    Colanna1

Answer by Colanna1 at 8:41 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• You could try the Gerber Graduates diced fruits and veggies too - I have found carrots, apples, and pears and they are very easy for my 1 year old to mash with his gums. And he likes to eat those cheese crumbles or shredded cheese (he likes crumbles better, they are easier to pick up). He also loves toast and the Graduates granola bars... I just break off little bite sized pieces for him to pick up and feed himself.
    twiceamom623

Answer by twiceamom623 at 11:06 AM on Jan. 20, 2009