THRUSH!!!

Can y'all help me please :) thanks... lol My 2 month old has thrush :( I've been breastfeeding him not knowing he has thrush, now my breast have thrush. So i was wondering.... can I continue breastfeeding him or do I need to switch him to formula until I can call my doctor? The thing is i was on medicaid the entire pregnancy but no they've dropped me for some reason and my husband and I don't have enough money to get me into the doctor. so does thrush go away on it's own? or so I HAVE to go to the doctor? i also heard that birth control can cause more yeast in your breastmilk... I'm confused on all of this please help me

Zacherysmommy08

Asked by Zacherysmommy08 at 9:38 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it can go away on its own but it is better to get meds for the baby, u can wash ur breast really well before and after BF the baby.... but if i were u i would pump it and put it in a bottle and give it to him that way.... just make sure that u boil the baby nipples very well
    Anonymous

• You can keep nursing him and you don't have to see a doctor either. Thrush can be treated without a medical professional. You can use gentian violet on the both of you. It will stain everything purple or you can use grapefruit seed extract(this is how I got rid of mine when my son was small). Here are instructions : http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/bf/thrush.asp
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 9:43 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• yeah he has medicine, we took him to the doctor. I just wasn't sure if i needed to get my own
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 9:46 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Yes, keep breastfeeding! Estrogen will help the yeast/thrush to grow, and it will cause a decrease in milk production so you want to avoid birth control with estrogen. Great info on treating thrush (also called candida) at

http://drjacknewman.com/help/Candida-Protocol.asp

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:53 PM on Jan. 10, 2009