First Depo shot, missed period

I had my VERY first Depo shot on Nov. 9, that was also the first day of my last period. I was told that my periods should become lighter or stop altogether, but that it would take at least a couple months. I'm now 6 days late. I was just wondering what others have experienced. I'm going to be taking a pregnancy test today, to (hopefully) rule out that possibility. Thanks for any and all advice!

AnnHenderson

Asked by AnnHenderson at 8:20 AM on Dec. 13, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Its normal for that to happen, i was on Depo, and it did that to me as well, but then after that it really messed up my periods and they have never been the same until after I had my 2nd baby!! If I was you i would switch to another birth control!
    xmkj2011

Answer by xmkj2011 at 9:01 AM on Dec. 13, 2011

• mine totally disappeared, no spotting or anything and it came back like normal after stopping the shot.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 9:08 AM on Dec. 13, 2011

• I was on Depo for 4 years and had no periods for 4 years. My last shot was July 9 and now I'm missing them, even though I HATE the bleeding every month. We're trying to conceive though so I would like SOME indication whether I'm pregnant or not.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 10:32 AM on Dec. 13, 2011

• I had a lot of problems with the depo, and I didn't mind the missed cycles as much as I loathe the additional weight! Took me forever to lose the weight and cycles are still not regulated, and I digress, because the weight is actually still there, lurking on my flabby ass and floppy midsection, mocking me every time I get naked for any purpose...lololol "sigh" I shiver!!!

subiemama

Answer by subiemama at 11:58 AM on Dec. 13, 2011

• I only had one really light period after I started Depo. I was on it for 4-5 years. I loved it. I loved not having a period. I only stopped using it because I got married and we started talking about having children, and it can impact your fertility for a LONG time after stopping it. So I switched to the pill for 2-3 years before we started TTC.

Telephus44

Answer by Telephus44 at 3:19 PM on Dec. 15, 2011