My 5 month old wants to eat everything he sees...just not his baby food!!

No lie, everytime I try to feed him his jar baby food during dinner he wants nothing to do with it because he can see all the other good food on the table. If I don't give him some he starts screaming until it gets to his mouth, then he gets this look of pleasure over his face and gurgles loudly for more! I have tried feeding him before dinner to see if he will eat when there is no other food around and it doesn't work, he still wants what we're eating. I'm scared of giving him food allergies but I feel bad not letting him eat what he sees everyone else eating. Can anybody give me some advice?

Whitney89

Asked by Whitney89 at 9:46 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Let him try a little of some of the food.
    Anonym0us

Answer by Anonym0us at 9:47 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• my daughter will be doing the same thing soon!! She lunges at mine and DH's food when we're eating and protests loudly when we have cups and she only has a bottle. We're lucky where she will eat her baby food as long as we feed her when she is really hungry, before a bottle. If your already doing that, I dont know what to tell you. I wait till she's hungry, feed her the baby food by herself and then give her a bottle while DH and I eat.
    If you find something else that works.. let me know!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 10:14 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• my duaghter is hte same way when she turned 3 months i started her on ceral which gave her terrible gas so i stopped on solids. but one day my sister and i were eating mashed potaoes and she screamed until i gave her some. i read that u should nit give the baby the same exact thin that the fam is eating bc there is no need to expose her to the extra slat and sugar and fats. try to give her like finger food. like uncooked green beans that she clearly would not be able to eat but she'll think she is. my daughter loves watching grandpops cooking dinner
    SummerMom072208

Answer by SummerMom072208 at 10:59 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Never used baby food here. Try mashing whatever you're eating. It's actually healthier for him.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:48 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• If he wants it and you fell comfortable giving it to him then go for it just try one new thing at a time to make sure there is no reaction to it

chrissy11673

Answer by chrissy11673 at 12:07 AM on Jan. 11, 2009