How soon is to soon for getting married?

My daughter's father and I split about a year ago. I have since been seeing a wonderful guy for about 10 months, the break up was my idea. My family and friends are trying to tell me it's too soon to talk about marragie with the new guy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Relationships

• You are an adult, you can do what you want. I went out of town and got married the second time without even telling my kids. Thats my privilege. Don't tell anyone, just do it.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 9:55 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I think its different for everyone. I split from my first husband 6 yrs before we got a divorce. Then a month and a half after the divorce was final I remaried to a wonderful man.
    craftykidsclub

Answer by craftykidsclub at 9:56 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• That's WAY too soon. 10 months??? What's the rush for a piece of paper? Take some time and get to know him so it doesnt end in divorce.
    Anonymous

• Don't marry them until you know ALL of their flaws and men WILL NOT show them at first.
    Take a GOOD look at his family and you'd be surprised that some of the problems his parents have he will too.
    Anonymous

• If you feel that it is right then you do what it is that you feel will make you happy. People will tell you that you don't know everything about him and it is true and until the day you die you will learn new things, no matter how big or small. If you've met his family and you are confident that you will not join the "I hate my in laws club then by all means go for it. Remember that happiness waits for no (wo)man. Good luck:)
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 10:24 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• There isn't any need to rush. You were out of your marriage for barely two months when you met this fellow. Did you get a chance to really get to know who YOU were without a man? That is really important information for you to have before you make another commitment.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:48 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• They might be thinking it's too soon because of other reasons. Is he able to support you? Does he have a good job? Where does he live? Trust me, if he was in a great position, they wouldn't be telling you it's too soon. Get to know him a little more, make sure he is going to be good for you. There is no hurry. Take your time. If he cares about you, he will be patient and prove his love to you.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 11:49 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Talk about marriage all you want to. Time is different for every one. Think about your age and listen to what both sides of the family thinks...including his. Take all of it into consideration but ultimately only you and he will know when the right time is. As a general rule...if things are going to work out while you are married they are going to work out while you are not married. So there's no rush to getting married since you can live with someone now and there is not as much of a social stigma as there used to be.
    Mimi2mommy

Answer by Mimi2mommy at 1:11 AM on Jan. 11, 2009