ages on packaging versus child's age.

I've noticed lately that my (only child) who is 14 months prefers toys,eating utensils geared towards older kids (2-5). I'm starting to wonder if I should continue with the trend of buying toys and items that are for older children, or if I should stop and buy only "age appropriate" things, even though he don't have any interest in them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:03 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think the ages on packaging are more a guidline that a rule. If the products you are using/buying pose no safety concerns (i.e. choking hazards) then continue to use them.
    Angel8203

Answer by Angel8203 at 10:09 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I think that if your child is ready for the older ones buy them. I have the opposite problem. My Cassie (autisic) is 6 and I'm buying toys for 3-4 year olds because thats where she is with pretend play.
    dle4125

Answer by dle4125 at 10:18 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I have this same issue with my toddler son who is two. I am relaxed on most issues but I do have a fear of him choking on small parts. Yet some toys I noticed have a warning - yet I feel reasonably safe that, with supervision, it would not be a problem. Others I can see they are a hazzard and do not purchase. But I have ammended it so that those toys suggested for older children are put up out of his reach and only taken down when I can supervise closely. Otherwise, say like when folding towels or attention not directly on him, I go with the safer age suggested items. Its a judgment call no doubt.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:48 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I think its more for the company as far as liability goes. That way, if a baby chokes on a toy for ages three and up, they can say "it says on the box." I let my son have a lot of toys earlier than he should have, just because he never put things in his mouth.
    MBsMom2004

Answer by MBsMom2004 at 10:54 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• The generic label of 3+ usually refers to toys with small parts that she should NOT have, no matter how advanced.
    Other than that, yes, judge the toy against your child's abilities. If you buy a toy that is too advanced, guess what? Your child will grow into it in time. If you buy a toy that is too young, she won't play with it too much.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:05 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Oh, and as you look at thinning out the toys you already have, look at them for future play value too. We have lots of the FP Roll-a-round balls (6 months+) and my daughter still loves them at 2.5 years. How she plays with them keeps changing and sometimes she will stop playing with them for a while but she still uses them.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:07 AM on Jan. 11, 2009