Need all ideas on what to look for while child-proofing my home.

I have a 2 year old and a 1 year old and a baby on the way, I would like to know what you other mom's out there have learned and have done to child-proof your home, so that I can cover all my bases and maybe I can learn stuff I did not think of. Thanks! :-)

LBZinski

Asked by LBZinski at 10:40 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• outlit covers.. Door Knob covers.. toilet lock... oven door lock.. stove knob cover...Wire Covers...ummm you know no small items kids can choke on...
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 10:44 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I would add to the above response cabinet and drawer locks, coffee table bumpers and a stove guard (for grease splatter), door protectors (rubber padding that you slip on either side of a door to keep them from getting their fingers pinched) and you should also consider strapping furniture to the walls (like TV's, dressers, etc.).
    VirgoMom807

Answer by VirgoMom807 at 11:09 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Fridge lock.
    Lock the drawer or cupboard where you keep all medicines and vitamins. Just putting them up high is not enough.
    And remember, baby-proofing items are designed to give you an extra couple of minutes to notice what the child is doing and stop it. They don't protect against a determined toddler or preschooler who is not supervised. And you can not supervise while you are asleep.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:43 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Baby gate across bathroom doors or any other place that is "off limits". Soaps/shampoos, etc kept up high in the shower.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:54 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• It's good to keep cleaners away and or high out of reach but if you can...look into green cleaners that are non-toxic. It doesn't substitute for watching your children but at least you know that if your child does get into them they will be ok. I slowly switched over to non-caustic cleaning chemicals as I used the others up and it's all I use now. I was surprised at how many children can get right past those "child proof" caps. Congrats on your new baby!
    Mimi2mommy

Answer by Mimi2mommy at 12:14 AM on Jan. 11, 2009