Bedtime hell....

Four year old is scared of something new every night. I almost cant handle it anymore. I "went to the bathroom" for about five minutes just to get away from his crying. Tonight, it's the furnace, which has been kicking in every hour for the last three months. What do your kids do to stay up to the latest possible hour?

MBsMom2004

Asked by MBsMom2004 at 10:49 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• my nieces think of things to get scared of and they keep saying their thirsty then go to bed and get back up and say im hungry.. then its the bathroom and then they start the crying " i dont wanna go to bed" blah blah blah... same as ur kid.. they are 4 and 5 my sister lets them cry till they go to sleep
    jenny2150

Answer by jenny2150 at 10:55 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• TRY A NEAT NIGHT LIGHT, READ HIM A BEDTIME STORY, ONE THAT WILL NOT GET HIM EXCITED.  GIVE HIM A WARM BATH BEFOR BED. CUDDLE WITH HIM FOR AWHILE.  GOOD LUCK

40yrmom

Answer by 40yrmom at 10:57 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I am so sorry. It sounds awful. There are story books at the library about this very topic. It didn't just happen over night so there won't be any quick fixes. But there are solutions out there. I would go take her shopping for a special magical snugly that keeps everything who sleeps with it safe. Then special sets of magical fairy bed sheets (or super hero). Then I would just happen to go to a very special magical store and find the most perfect magical wand that enchants the room each night with good dreams and has protection powers. I would also set a very firm bed time routine. No exceptions. It is done the same way each night. Cuddle, read, sing, wind down, and then do the protector magic thing. Also picking up a dream catcher is cool. At this point in his life if he is old enough to believe in monsters he can believe in good magic too.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:02 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• We have a very set bedtime routine. I just dont get it. We have milk and read a book or two in my bed. We lay together in my bed and talk a little bit. Teeth brushing. Then we go lay in his bed (yeah, 6 ft tall in a toddler bed). We put rope light under his bed because he was scared of under his bed....not monsters, just under his bed. He was scared of the rope light, but didnt want it turned off. Nightlights worked fora while, now its up to a lamp.
    It very well could be school and overtiredness. Or maybe since his dad came back in his life for two months. Im not sure, but its driving me mad! And then I see him finally asleep, and i think, what a sweet angel.
    MBsMom2004

Answer by MBsMom2004 at 11:10 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• With my 3 yr old, it's 'I need a drink of water', 'I have to pee', 'My pj's are scratching me', 'The dog farted and the smell is too stinky' (seriously, he said that last night, lol), umm, there's many more. Luckily now he doesn't try it every night, just sometimes. I would just keep doing what you're doing with the routine. Maybe try putting him to bed a few minutes (like 15) earlier? That might help if you think he might be over tired. Good luck! Wish I could be of more help!
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 11:34 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Mine tells me he needs to go to the bathroom over and over some nights. Other than that, we haven't developed any fears. He's a flexible boy. When he starts playing in his bed, I make the room pitch black and sit in the rocking chair across the room. That usually bores him to sleep in a few minutes, lol.

FreeHomeBiz

Answer by FreeHomeBiz at 11:36 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Sounds like he might be having night terrors. I could be wrong though.
    My kids will need to pee, pooh, get a drink, need lotion for their dry skin, have itchy bums, etc.....
    When they are scared though I will put one of mine or DH's sweaters wrapped around them as a mommy hug or daddy hug. It's comforting to them and let's me get away.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 11:39 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I have a son who is four and it is always: thirsty, hungry, scared of monsters etc. It breaks my heart because I never know if he is really scared or he knows crying works on us. We just do the 15 minute rule. We explained to him that monsters aren't real (so you could try explaining away the fears) After that; we let him cry for 15 minutes at a time. The first time we stay a few minutes, talk, and give him a kiss but every time after that we just give him a kiss and tell him we are right there and to go to sleep and leave quickly. No conversation. He never lasts more that 30 minutes although the first couple of nights were 2 and 3 hours hell sessions. Good Luck..this too shall pass. :)
    Mimi2mommy

Answer by Mimi2mommy at 12:02 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• My 3 year old does the Im scared thing...but I dont let him, I say your not scared , you just dont wanna go to sleep....GO O SLEEP@! LOL But I do allow him to watch a movie before he goes to sleep
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:06 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Mine do the same thing. We always end the night giggling and then it is "I love you. GO TO SLEEP!" Then all the "things" start and I just say no, go to sleep, shut the door and leave. If they are still up an hour later asking for a drink and actually upset about it, I will give them enough water to cover the bottom of the glass and off to bed they are sent. They don't really fight it anymore because they know that they will not get the attention that they want.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 12:25 AM on Jan. 11, 2009