How to get son to call right person MOM?!

I live w/ my parents because Im a single mom who doesnt make enough to live alone. Myself and my lil sisters who live at home naturally call my mom "mom" but for the past 2 mths my 20mth old son has been joining in and calling my mom "mom". It hurts my feelings because I take care of him all day everyday except for the hrs I work. what can I do to regain MY title?! Should we call my mom NANA which is what he calls her SOMETIMES? Please help. I feel so unloved!

AntzMumi430

Asked by AntzMumi430 at 10:54 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes, you need to call her by what you want him to call her.
    And yes, he does know that you are MOMMY - even if he calls her that sometimes too.

Try to remember how confusing our language is for him. Try this trick - stand with him in front of a mirror. Ask him to point to "you". Then ask him to point to "me". Now you try - point to "you" and point to "me". Notice that you both should be pointing to different people. Just who is "me" and just who is "you"? That's just one of the many confusing questions he is trying to figure out.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:39 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Omg I am going threw the same thing as you. My daughter always calls my mom mommy and it makes me wanan cry sometimes. I feel so unloved and left out. ):
    Morgan.

Answer by Morgan. at 10:56 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Lol, he knows who his mama is! Don't let it get to you. I would just continue referring to your mom as Nana anytime he is around you. And have her call herself Nana to him. Then call yourself mom and have others call your his mom around him....he'll get it.

If it makes you feel any better my 2 year old calls me Shannon and my husband Josh. Lil Turd.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 10:58 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I was just get into the habit of calling your mom Nana. Don't take it personally, he's just calling her what he hears everyone else calling her! Our son used to call my husband Josh sometimes because he would hear everyone else calling him that. Or he would call him Uncle Josh because he does have an Uncle Josh and he would get confused! lol Nothing to worry about, just start calling your mom what you want HIM to call her and it should all get straightened out!
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 11:50 PM on Jan. 10, 2009