Christening...

Can someone advise me on christening a baby...
how is it done?
at what age?
how do you plan for it?
Do you need to book an appoitment at a church?
( might be a stupid questin, but i really dont know)

Albi1623

Asked by Albi1623 at 11:04 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I wouldn't do it, because the baby doesn't even know what it means to be baptised. I'm going to wait till my kids understand it.

Anonymous

• if you are not a member of the church(whichever church you plan on christening in), you will most likely need to call and speak to the secretary/pastor/priest..some churches won't allow non-members to do this.
    you can do it while they are infants to ....not sure what age. i've seen children as old as 1 yr be christened/baptised.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:13 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infant_baptism
    Anonymous

• I just had my daughter baptized. She was 12 months when we did it. Since my husband is in the Army we used the Chaplain. I did call around to churches and all I spoke with required us to be a members. I choose the bible versus that I wanted in the service and met with the chaplain before hand. We discussed both my husband's religious background and my own.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 11:42 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• in our religion we give the baby a blessing.you can do it at any age you wish but most do it within the month. we just tell the bishop which sunday we want to do it and we do it during sacrament meeting. i think it's the same as a christening but we don't use water. when they turn 8 they get baptized.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:18 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• best bet would be to ask your local pastors and ministers etc.. my nephew was just dedicated.. and they do need to get a date booked for it... he was one.. but they didn't baptize him... they sprinkled holy water, said prayers and dedicated him to the lord... when he is older and if he choices too, he can become baptized.... but if he choices to, they want him to learn about their religion before he choices... thought that was a sweet way, if they were going to do it.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:26 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• For the love of goodness gracious! You talk to the priest. They are very nice and will walk you through it!  And if you don't understand (not the op but other moms on here who get RUDE when your religion doesn't fall in line with thiers) don't answer the dang question. I am Catholic and there is a reason the we baptize babies. and if you weren't ignorant you would know that children are given the right to choose when they are older (1st communion and confirmation). And I will say this...When our children choose the do it EDUCATED to the beliefs we hold. They take many CCD classes and learn what exactly it is they are getting into. I have been to other churches (my rebelios years) Where I could walk up and be baptized on my 2nd visit! How is that "choosing" when you don't even know what you are accepting!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• If you want to christen your baby, do so. Don't listen to what others say. Geeze!! I had my first two babies baptized but 7 years later when my other two babies came along I didn't bother, simply because my "belief system" had changed. Giving your children to God does not HAVE to be sanctified by a church but if you want it done, go for it. Just make an appointment with your church and they will tell you everything you need to know.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 9:32 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I was baptised as a baby, of course that was 6 million years ago!! I agree. If it is something YOU want for your child go for it. I was raised Catholic, fell out of church then was saved in '91 and was baptised again.
    I know Catholics do it and I think either Episcopals or Lutherans do it too.
    How awesome you are thinking of your childs soul.
    WAganma56

Answer by WAganma56 at 2:32 PM on Jan. 11, 2009