Why are people so anti breastfeeding?

I saw this article about a mom being put in jail because she had her baby in a bar and was drunk and breastfeeding (stupid idea) but that's not what gets me...what gets me is the comments at the bottom of the article of people bickering back and forth about how obscene breast feeding is. When I first started breastfeeding I would bring formula any time we went out because I didn't want to deal with the looks or comments...now I just don't care...if you don't like it why don't you people look the other way??? One lady went as far to compare it to a child having to watch a porno or their parents having sex....Ummm okay this got me fired up and I don't have enough room to type my thoughts so what are yours and why is society so anti breast feeding?

britni11

Asked by britni11 at 11:19 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• ppl are dumb.... i was the same way with my first dd and with the second.. well as soon as she was hungry i gave her the breast.. I know with this baby i am going to be the same way! I think that the folks who make those stupid comments comparing nursing your child with pornography are the ones who don't breast feed ther children because it is easier not to.. Really upsets me too! I think ther should be dedicated areas in stores for nursing mothers.. a place for the to sit and relax and BREASTFEED the baby without the ppl with the stupid looks and comments.. if they don't wanna see don't come to that part of the store.. that way both side are happy.. although it doesn't matter to me if the "others" don't like it.. cause they will have to deal with it.. i give my children the best.. soryy they can't say the same!
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 11:25 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• i tried to breast feed but it hurt and i couldnt take it anymore the bottle was much easier.. my nipples were sore and they felt llike raw skin.. it bothered my nipples when i put a bra on or a shirt on after breast feeding.. my skin was soo irritated...but thats just me...
    Anonymous

• Some people are so anti breastfeeding because they're semi immature and still see breast's as a sexual object and not as a device used to feed a child. As soon as i started breastfeeding, they lost all sexual appeal to me, but that's just my view. There's a ot of people who are for breastfeeding but just as many against it and some people are just very opinionated.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 11:27 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• they arent anti-breast feeding.. I breast feed and i never whipped it out.. you pump before you leave... what person wants to see sum random persons boob.. especially if they have kids with them alot of people dont want there kids to see that kinda stuff..
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 11:28 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I breast fed in public, DH thought it was weird lol. but one night we were eating and DD got hungry...if she is hungry I will feed her no matter WHERE we are. So I DID COVER WITH A BLANKET, and started to feed her. Next thing I know there were three different couples starring at me, and DH (who first thought it was weird) starred at them and said..."Do you like it while I stare at you and eat...didnt think so!!! Neither does my daughter!" I was so proud of him! I am glad he stook up for me being able to breast feed where ever I need to!
    People are stupid, and people are being tought some stupid stuff these days...its ok to basically have sex in public (people all over eachother making out) but I cant breast feed under a blanket even!!! I think people need to grow up, we are now being taught that breast feeding is sexual which it is not!!!!!
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 11:28 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Anon i'm not talking about people that can't or won't breast feed i'm talking about those that do and others look at us moms that do like were some kind of nasty pigs and should go sit in a bathroom or like we have no right to feed our kids in public. I don't flop out my nipple for everyone to see, I use a cover...but some people can't (some kids don't like stuff over their head or it's to hot) and they shouldn't have to feel like their doing something wrong. People in other countries don't cover up or worry about this...It's natural people!!! Get over yourselves.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 11:35 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Didn't you know? Breasts are only to be seen to sell beer and cars.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:39 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• But some women really don't care what people see when they BF in public. And that's what many anti-breastfeeding people have encountered. I would breastfeed in public on occasion, but I always covered with a light blanket so most of the time no one could tell, they just thought the baby was sleeping (at least one person told me that). Some moms don't do that and are so in your face about BF that it turns people off. I'm assuming that's what has some people so outraged about BF. And then of course there are just some ignorant people out there too I suppose.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:43 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Gdiamante nailed it! Breastfeeding ruins their buzz from the beer. It ruins the pornos running in their head. It reminds them that boobies are for more than just fun times.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:52 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I think there is always someone who will bash you regardless of your choice. Just be confident in who you are and it won't bug you as much. :-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Jan. 11, 2009