Is there any moms out there who have adult children living with them who has an addiction?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• You can't control it, you didn't cause it (in most cases) and you can't cure it. An addict has to want the help and seek it out. Through an intervention or whatever. Learn about addiction. Learn about being a co-dependent and how to stop enabling the addictive behavior. The best thing for an addict is to have to face the consequences of his behavior. And go to Al-Anon. Learn to live your own life and to stop helping the addict continue in his behavior. You don't have to have your life torn apart watching someone else slowly die from his own choice. And addiction is a family disease--it isn't just the addict who needs help--all those closely involved with him needs help.
    Anonymous

• I dont but my ex step mother was and addict and my hubby use to be an addict and he lived with his parents.. Its hard living with an addict.. My hubby was one when I meet him and I worked my butt off to cut off his sources and to get him clean and keep him clean.. it was super hard on both of us..
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 11:44 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• my teen ss is using pot, smoking cigs, and drinking. my teen sd lived with us for a year and two months she was into the like. we went through 3 months of detox and I had her in counseling. She clearly detoxed when here. it was very difficult because she has moved back and back "at it" again.
    pm me if you have more Q. or need support.
    massagegiftmom

Answer by massagegiftmom at 1:36 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• My 18 ds has addictions to weed, alcohol and it is sometimes too much for me to handle.
    I am not cut out for the worries. I have tried everything, but his friends seem to have more influence than me. :(
    Anonymous

• I HAVE A 19 YEAR OLD SON WHO HAS ADD, DRINKS, SMOKES AND 15 YEAR OLD GIRLFRIEND THAT IS NO GOOD FOR HIM. WE HAVE NOW KICKED HIM OUT OF THE HOUSE
    HE CONTINUES NOT TO FOLLOW OUR RULES. WE HAVE ALSO TAKEN THE TRUCK AWAY FROM HIM AND NOW HAS NO MEANS TO GET TO SCHOOL. HE HAS BEEN IN TROUBLE WITH THE LAW MORE THAN ONCE. HOW DOES ONE COPE WITH THIS DECISSION DID WE DO THE RIGHT THING? I FEEL BAD THAT IT HURTS, i KNOW I CAN NOT CONTINUE ENABLE HIM
    Flamesmon

Answer by Flamesmon at 1:22 AM on Jan. 14, 2009