BLADDER INFECTIONS???

Are bladder infections common with pregnancy, can it hurt the baby?

TashaMarie349

Asked by TashaMarie349 at 11:33 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• No it wont hurt the baby.. i had one when i first got preggers... they say it is becuz you sweat alot more and theres more discharge stuff like that so it is more common if your preggers.. they will jus give you sum antibiotics..
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 11:37 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Should I call the dr now before it gets bad or can I wait till monday?
    TashaMarie349

Answer by TashaMarie349 at 11:38 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• You can wait... When I went for my first check up it showed up on my urine test but they didnt give me the medicine till a my next month visit...
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 11:42 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• You don't need antibiotics. Get some cranberry pills and garlic capsules now (you can check wal-mart) also eat yogurt, it has probiotics. I refuse to take antibiotics for most things, and this always works with a bladder infection, etc. :) good luck. drink lots of water.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:57 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• you want to go to the hospital now it can get in too the blood stream and cause harm not to just your self but the baby also and yes you do need meds
    greeniemommy

Answer by greeniemommy at 11:20 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• greeniemommy, don't scare her to death. I have gotten a UTI/bladder infection every pregnancy and get them all the time. They will NOT harm the baby and meds are NOT needed. If you leave it completely untreated, then yes it could cause tons of problems.. but over all antibiotics are not needed. I know, I have treated them without antibiotics for years, after I got one while pregnant with my first child and naively took antibiotics.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:36 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I get them with each pregnancy, and actually had them so often before my last pregnancy that my urologist put me permanently on a low dose antibiotic. With my first pregnancy, I didn't know I had the UTI until it got really bad. I ended up spending several hours in the emergency room getting rehydrated after throwing everything up for 2 days. I have also had UTI's that have gone into my kidneys, which is not good, and made my back hurt like hell. I don't generally have any symptoms other than an odor to my urine.
    Depending on how severe your symptoms are, you should be able to wait until Monday. If it is up in your kidneys or if you aren't able to hold food down, then you may not want to wait.
    Soccer_Mama

Answer by Soccer_Mama at 6:37 PM on Jan. 11, 2009