• In the Spotlight:

My grandson, with Down syndrome, has been fretful for two weeks, with gas, and can't sleep. What foods would be good for a DS baby to relieve gas?

He is 16 months old, and is very healthy for DS baby. He eats table foods, which I thought might contribute to the gas. I suggested to try soy milk instead of regular milk? I just don't know. He has low muscle tone, so it is hard to poop, and I just want to know of foods that would help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:37 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Bear with my ignorance here. I know nothing about DS but I have a son with autism. Children with autism tend to have food intolerances. Is it the same with DS children?

Soy milk can break down in the body a lot like regular milk. If a sixteen month old can have almond milk that might be a better choice. I know pediatricians have certain ages where they recommend nut products but I don't know what those ages are.

My son is allergic to wheat, dairy and egg. Taking those from his diet have helped immensely with tummy issues.

Maybe you could go back to trying new foods one at a time or keeping a food diary. That way you can find his triggers.

Good luck. A gassy baby is not a happy baby I know.
    thisnametaken

Answer by thisnametaken at 11:54 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I dont know much about what children with autism can and cannot have. However I have talked with my pedi about this for my 18 month old. I give my son Mylicon drops for gas relief which are all natural. My pedi also said that constipation comes from too much lactose and not enough green vegetables. Which is very true because my son poops up to 4 times a day, has never been constipated, and his favorite food is peas and he doesnt really care for milk. The other thing that you should know is that soy milk still has lactose in it so maybe cut down his milk consumption.
    Shannon0622

Answer by Shannon0622 at 12:03 AM on Jan. 11, 2009