Reading?

Does your child's school have the AR Reading program? If so, how on earth do u get a child who hates to read to read? Meeting your AR goal counted for 90% of their grade this time in Literature class. My daughter got an F because she met 11% of her goal! She is normally a great student, but hates to read!

hw1977

Asked by hw1977 at 12:00 AM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I'd say find her books she is interested in. I always went for fantasy. I hated anything like history or love story type books when I was that age.

my absolute favorite AR books were the Dragon Song series by Melanie Rawn (sp?)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• If it's that important to her overall grade, I would just include her reading into her daily homework --- she doesn't get to watch TV or play outside or get on the computer, etc until it's read. Period.

Give her as much freedom in choosing what she reads as you can, have her read a set amount every day (1-2 chapters), and - to make sure she's actually reading them - have her either explain to you what happened in those chapters or just have her read them outloud to you.

Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 2:27 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• You have to find something she WANTS to read. I love to read myself, but if the book bores me or isn't something I like, has wimpy characters, etc., I won't read it. Take her to the library, and have her borrow a variety of books: romance, fantasy, suspense, historical, supernatural/horror, books on topics she's interested in like ice skating, soccor, etc. Have her read them and write down a brief summary of what she thought. "Hated the romance." "Suspense was good, but too fast paced" Once she figures out which type of book she really loves, then you borrow/buy books that fit that category, which will make her more excited to read them. If she still balks, then as a pp suggested, just make it part of her homework, to read X pages each night.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:38 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I agree you have to find something that she will like to read. The other thing you could try is getting the audio version of a book and have her read along. I have a friend who did this with her daughter and it really helped.

Also, see if she will read a magazine or a news paper. I know it is not the same as a book, but it is a start. I know that at my child's school they do not count the number of books they read, they count the hours. So if my kids help me make dinner and have to read the recipe that counts.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:51 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I agree with the other posters who suggested trying a large variety to find out what she likes to read. The magazines and newpapers are a great idea, but I know that won't help with the AR. You'll need to get a list of the books that your school has purchased the AR tests for, and select from that list. Take that list to the public library and get armloads to bring home. Hopefully at least one of them will pique an interest.

Also, try reading together. Maybe you read a page, she reads a page. And discuss after each chapter (or main event) to be sure she is comprehending the content. She may get interested enough to "read ahead" when you're not available to read with her.
    cam.i.am

Answer by cam.i.am at 3:02 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Incentives are wonderful. Our library does a reading program during the summer and give out prizes for the amount of books read.

Keep a reading log. Ideas for prizes can be window shopping with you, jamba juice, date night, pick the at home movie for fri. night, all kinds of incentives for all ages and budgets.

I have a daughter in HS who didn't like to read and this was an on going battle since grdschl. I should have made her read more and have her choose the book and set a goal. today we do a reading time at home, book club, and the kids read 15-30min a day and write or talk about what they read. We also did a starbucks day once a week.
    Let her pick the book, with approval, together set a daily reading goal.

Good luck. Reading is the world at your finger tips. I love to read.
    But don't give her any time on the computer , tv, or phone, what ever till she has read. Be strong.
    teachermomof5

Answer by teachermomof5 at 6:48 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• My 4th grade daughter loves to read...now. That was not always the case. I wondered in 1st grade if She'd ever get through a whole book before high school. I did notice however, that She loved hearing stories. Books on tape (or CD) became part of our bedtime routine. It took about 6 months before She realized that all those stories were at her fingertips (literally!) anytime she wanted. She was very encouraged & by the end of 2nd grade, reading was actually fun for her. She devours books now. Be encouraged, She may surprise you.

Ms.Beasley

Answer by Ms.Beasley at 8:39 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• When my children were in 3rd grade I could read to them and it would count. At our school, they don't have to read the entire 20 minutes at once, many kids find doing that too boring. Break it up into 5 minute increments. We always read in interesting, fun places like out by the pond, at the park and we would play when we were done, sitting by the lake, etc. I would give them something to look forward to like going for a bike ride when we were finished, play a game or have one of our tea parties. When I read to them, I made it interesting and funny by my expressions. I worked at the school and would get annoyed at parents who thought they were doing a good job by forcing them into their room alone, threatening to take away priveledges, etc. This only makes them hate it more. There are many ways to make it fun, and it doesn't take long for them to begin to enjoy reading.
    LoriW

Answer by LoriW at 8:40 PM on Jan. 11, 2009