Hmm.... could he be gifted?

I'm not asking this to brag or anything of that nature, but from what I've seen from the tons of toddlers I've seen, my son might be gifted. And I'm just wondering. His grandma says his father is considered a "genius" according to some type of IQ test he was given as a kid, I don't know the complete truthfulness of this. But my son is two years old, he will be 3 in March, and he already does the following:
Talks in complete sentences, clearly.
Counts to 18 easily
Knows all of his shapes
Knows all of his colors
Says his ABCs
Knows the names and recognizes all animals
Knows exactly how to get to certain peoples' houses
Talks to everyone, all the time
Can work a dvd player correctly
Helps with chores, throws away his trash

So I'm just wondering, are anyone elses' kids honestly to this level? Is this normal? I'm just curious b/c most kids, even older one, dont seem to his level. Maybe I'm just partial! :

BeckNAiden06

Asked by BeckNAiden06 at 12:05 AM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter won't be three until July but she can do many of these things too. Could she be gifted? Maybe. But from what I've read, you can't really tell until the child hits school. Unless of course they have a strong gift in one area - like music or math.
    For now, I'd say keep up the good work. Keep finding the "next" thing for him to learn. Don't neglect fun things like balancing to walk along a curb, learning to swing on his own, drawing (not just coloring a coloring book), etc.
    Keep an eye on him and be prepared to intervene when he is ready for school. Bored kids usually don't do well in school.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:13 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Well, he sure does seem to do alot! You seem to be very proud of him. I am sorry, I don't really recall what my kids did at that age, but hey, I can't even work a DVD player without complications!! Can I borrow him? LOL!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:09 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I'm also wondering if the many people I've encountered who have children close to his age just don't do as much with their kids? And so they aren't as developed? Of course I'm hoping he turns out to be gifted, they even just opened a school here solely for gifted children that I can only hope he goes to when he's old enough!! lol Any comments, comparisons, websites, info, anything you ladies know of is helpful and nice though!!
    BeckNAiden06

Answer by BeckNAiden06 at 12:25 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I've worked in daycare and he sounds like he's in line with lots of other kiddos
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Jan. 11, 2009