How do you make taking two toddlers to the store easier?

I have two very active toddlers. I dread taking them to the store by myself because most carts only have a seat for one, and even if they have a two-seater, the seats are so close that my kids fight the whole time. There is no way I can let one of them walk. HELP!!!

Cadreysmom

Asked by Cadreysmom at 10:11 AM on Jul. 17, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well my kids are 4, 3 and 1. B4 I had my third kid I used to go tothe store with my 2 and I thought that was hard! I stopped going without my husband. He usually pushes one cart and I push the other. On occation I have to go by myself with all three kids and I let one stand and ride on the back of the cart. I know its not really safe but my oldest loves it. You could also try to get one of those kid leashes. I know it sound horrible but when I had my second baby and my son was only 24 onths I hooked him to one when we would go on walks and into the store and things cause with me tending to the baby he could easily wonder off. You think ppl will look at you weird but I had several ppl ask me where to get one. I got mine at wal-mart and they are like a harness so it doesnt go around their neck or anyting. My kids loved wearing it!
    MommyMel03

Answer by MommyMel03 at 10:28 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I have one of those. My son just had open heart surgery, so I can't put it on him, but I'm not sure if it would work with my 1 year old. I have put my son inside the cart before and kept my hand on him the whole time we were in the store, but he fell out when I was paying and I felt like the worst mom in the world.
    Cadreysmom

Answer by Cadreysmom at 10:34 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• My girls are 27 months and 21 months old. To be honest, if I have to go somewhere that I need a cart I try to wait until my husband can stay with them and I'll go in the evening. But there are times when I do need to go out and run some errands. What I do is put the girls in their double stroller and pull the cart behind me. I've gotten so good that I just pull the cart up right beside the stroller handle and I can hang onto both with one hand!! :-)
    mommytoadam

Answer by mommytoadam at 10:52 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I used to put mine IN the cart, and hit the Goldfish aisle first.
    barrettboys

Answer by barrettboys at 12:00 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Food is the answer....yeah - it's messy...but at least they are happy. I have three kids that I take the store by myself...ages 3,2 and 1!! It's possible.
    lrobles1983

Answer by lrobles1983 at 2:01 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I've got a four year old and a two year old. I'm about to have a third one any day now. My 2 year old loves to run away from me, he thinks it's an awesome game. I finally convinced my husband we needed a child leash/harness when I was seven months preggo and had to run as fast as I could to catch up with our son before he reached an automatic door that lead to the parking lot. A harness was the way to go for us.
    CreativeSpirit

Answer by CreativeSpirit at 4:38 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• i put them in my double stroller and hang those reusable shopping bags off of the handles with my purchases in them. i also try to go near a milk or snack time so i can give them their milk or snack in the store...that usually keeps them occupied pretty well. of course, i have NEVER let them down in the store, and don't plan to. i've heard that once you do you're in for it. a friend of mine has two toddlers and she bought these cute little backpack buddy harness things from walmart. it's like a stuffed monkey or dog that they wear as a backpack, and there's a "tail" (leash) coming off of the backpack for you to hold. they get a little crazy, though, trying to run away and stuff. i'm just going to try to avoid letting them down at all. i can't buy a lot at a time, but it works for smaller trips.
    tstep972

Answer by tstep972 at 3:24 PM on Jul. 19, 2008