A question for formula feeding and breast feeding moms. NOT NEGATIVE!!!!

I breast fed DD til one year...so what? Why is this such a big deal, who cares? I dont look down on people who FF...I watched my step mom pump for two weeks and get an ounce...how is this good for a baby? Eatting an ounce in two weeks...please!! I think everyone on here needs to realize that not everyone CAN breast feed and that you shouldnt judge, my step mom tried and tried and tried but couldnt...I tried and had an amazing milk supply...every one is different. And just because you dont BF doesnt mean you are a bad mom...
So why is it that almost all BF moms on here say rude comments to other moms who formula feed?? This site was made to support each other...RIGHT???

Mikayla_lynn

Asked by Mikayla_lynn at 12:11 AM on Jan. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• Like I said in the other posts. It doesn't really matter. I had one of each, kind of an experimental thing. Same health issues, same allergies. YES I did say allergies... breast fed and still had allergies. I don't really care as long as you feed the kid.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:13 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I breast feed and have an amazing time with it. not everyone does. I'm guessing the rude ones aren't really enjoying it and are only doing it because it is "better" for the baby and are kind of mad about it.
    I use quotes because a miserable mom is never better for the baby.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:16 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• With my first I could pump an 8 oz bottle in less than 10 min. With my second I could hardly pump an ounce no matter how long I pumped. Pumping dosen't determine your milk supply. I bf my second child till she was 18 months and let me tell you she was a big girl who ate often! She also had formula when I was not there to feed her.
    My 3rd DD is bf and also ff if I've no milk pumped.
    Do what you can, make sure you love you kids to the best of your abilities!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 12:36 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• You're always going to find someone to be rude. Honestly, I don't care what a woman chooses to do. If she asks for breastfeeding help, I'll give it.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:40 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I totally agree - every woman is different and if they can't BF then oh well ... I dont understand either why some people on here feel the need to be so judgemental, but oh well - maybe they just need something to do. Lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I know you said "most" moms, but I don't have anything negative to say about it and all the mothers I know, including mine and my grandmother didn't. My sister never even attempted to breastfeed, she didn't want to. I don't judge her. Her daughter is perfectly healthy and very intelligent (she's eight now) I breastfeed my daughter, but wasn't successful breastfeeding my son and I have the presence of mind to mind my own business about how someone else feeds their child. But I just wanted to mention that in the 'Breastfeeding Moms' group there were many breastfeeding mother defending formula feeding mothers in one particular post entitled 'Outlaw formula' So yes, there are those who have no tolerance, but that doesn't mean that there aren't many who do.
    lady_kira

Answer by lady_kira at 3:33 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Mikayla lynn, I'm so sorry for your step mom has experienced this. I agree with you 100%. I myself chose to breastfeed 3 of my 4 children but it wasn't easy. To this day, I have to take fenugreek to help my milk production. Everyone is different. When I pump, I get nothing! I finally resigned myself to just breastfeed my children straight from the boob. But that was a choice that worked for me & maybe not for someone else. As mothers, we should all unite & try to help each other. Although I chose breastfeeding for myself, it irks me when mothers stomp on other moms for not breastfeeding. An RN told me that formula has significantly improved so much. Once again, I'm sorry your step mom has experienced such judgemental views during such a vulnerable time, my heart goes out to your step mom.

ilovebooksfan

Answer by ilovebooksfan at 8:55 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I'm with you... I breastfed both of my kids because it was easier. My oldest also took formula because I just couldn't keep up... My baby (now 16 months) is making me wish I never nursed. I have alsways hated nursing and he just won't wean! I would give anything for him to take a bottle just until I could get him off the boob... Then go to a sippy... He take a sippy through the day. He just won't take one at bed time... So I'm having some real issues! If I have another child (Goddess FORBID!) I will formula feed from day one and just nurse pt... I just hate it!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:02 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• There is nothing wrong with either, the way I look at is as long as you love your kids and they are healthy and happy that's all that matters.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 10:12 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Amen to that. I was unable to breastfeed my son due to a cleft lip. I could have breastfeed but he then had alot of other issues. I never regreted it and he would not have been any better off with breast milk because he had swallowing issues. However, I have been on here and had a mom tell me I didn't try hard enough. These moms who say these things need to put themselves in others shoes before they say things.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 11:30 AM on Jan. 11, 2009