Obama's MIL moving in...

Does it bug anybody else that Obama's MIL is moving into the white house with him and his family? It bugs me!! Im not paying taxes to support and pay for his mother in law!! If she was moving to the area to be close, Great, Fantastic, BUT to move right in I think is over stepping the boundries and is uncalled for and really just unprofessional on Obama's part. Its not like she is invalid and needs someone right there with her 24/7. What does everyone else think??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it's a great example of how our elderly SHOULD be treated. I grew up with my grandparents in the house.

I don't know how her presence is going to be paid for, but I have a feeling one woman isn't going to break the White House budget. (Now, if it was a teenaged BOY....that would probably be a whole 'nother story on the food budget!)

Answer by gdiamante at 12:37 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I think I'm technically paid through tax dollars since I work in public education and if my SO and I decided to move a parent in with us, we have the right to.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 12:37 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Wow...what a bunch of racist jerks up above. first, it is not TAX DOLLARS paying for her...I'm sure she's not getting any money from the government to live there. Who cares if she moves in, it's not your business.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• It most certainly is OUR business. That is the house of the people, not Obama. If she needed somewhere to live the Chicago address is vacant for 4 years. He can afford to support her there. Not on tax dollars in the WH.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:23 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• throwing upYet people wondered why I asked if the more things changed the more they stayed the same. Racist comments like this put the nail in the coffin, so to speak.

micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 1:33 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 1:56 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• It is awesome. Extended families are a good thing people! Would you rather pay for a nanny to watch the girls?
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 2:03 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• You think he doesn't get paid enough to support ALL OF THEM? lol not like he's getting paid extra for her to move in..who cares. More men shoudl treat their moms that way. When you're as old as Obama's mom and if your son ever becomes president...I would want to move in. He'd tell you to suck it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:05 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• This is a GOOD thing. These little girls are going through a HUGE transition. I am glad that they are thinking of making things easier on them. To have those you are familiar around you would certainly help. They moved, switched schools, left family and friends, etc. It's not a fore sure PERMANANENT thing...it's a transitional thing. If she stays, oh well, it's what's best for THEIR family. You make it sound like he's the first to do this. READ ALL THE ARTICLE. It's not uncommon.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 2:08 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• And I quote "Plenty of in-laws have taken up residence in the White House before, not to mention cousins, grandchildren and other relatives.

"Throughout history there have been many extended first families in office," said Robert Watson, author of "Life in the White House."

Ulysses S. Grant's father-in-law, Richard Dent, stayed for several years. Harry S. Truman's mother-in-law, Madge Gates Wallace, lived there, too, and was critical of her son-in-law."
    a_and_j_momma