Breastfeeding/formula feeding, Fast food/home cooked

So we are so concerned with a parent's choice of how to feed their baby. How come we aren't asking questions like kraft dinner or home made macaroni and cheese? Regular milk or microfiltered? Probiotics in yogurt or just regular? Tap water or filtered? Regular peanut butter or all natural peanut butter? Chips or veggies? Fruit or candy?
Why is it that mother's are so openly opinionated about breast or formula but not later food choices? Just wondering

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 12:43 AM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• lol I love the point you make...I like home made better than kraft but in a pinch kraft dinner works =P
    ReneeLRS

Answer by ReneeLRS at 12:45 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I think it is easier to talk about because there aren't as many choices...either breast or formula, while the later food choices are JUST as important there is ALOT more things to talk about rather than just two. In order to say anything you have to know exactly what they are eating, how often, and the nutricional value, and people dont want to spend that much time on a subject...
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 12:46 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I am crazy mom about what my nearly "people" food eating 14 month old gets. Everyone makes fun of me. But with FF BF argument people have so many different reasons (many so valid) that I can't see the argument. But feeding your child happy meals all the time, cause you're too lazy to cook that's just wrong.
    summers1332

Answer by summers1332 at 12:51 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I have to chuckle. You make a great point. Over the holiday's SIL asked if a certain vegetable at the dinner table was organic. I half jokingly asked her if she was going to be "one of those" parents (which I already know, she kinda is, all militant and by the book). She looked at me and said something about how having kids changes your outlook. Hello, she weaned her DD at 10 months and switched her to formula. I had to laugh and shake my head inside because to me what is the point of caring so much about organic if you don't care about the chemicals in formula. When it comes down to it, I don't care what she feeds her kids, they aren't mine, I just thought it was funny of her.
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 12:51 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Because i think in general people dont feel as passionate or offended about their food choices as they do the way they choose to feed their babies
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• HELLO . . . isn't what you eat the same as what you're feeding your baby when your breastfeeding anon? I really think that is the entire point here.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:06 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Why? Because BREASTS are involved. **grin**

It's stupid. Do what you want. The opinions of others are NOT IMPORTANT. If you want help with breastfeeding, I'll offer it.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:25 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I was bashed so much for formula feeding but the women who bashed me feed their kids a diet of crap now those kids are older. My sisters kids were breast fed a year or longer each. They now eat hotdogs, chicken nuggets, chips, fries, pizza, drink nothing but soda and eat tons of McDonald's now. They are obese now and sick all the time. My sister said her oldest has not eaten vegetables in a month. Yet she bashed me for giving my son formula. My son eats lean meats, fish, fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains and only knows about McDonalds from commercials. Yet I am the bad mom. Other breast Nazi's like my sister are the same way.

I think how you teach your child to eat is more important than if you breast fed or not. If a child is not taught about proper nutrition they are set up for a fall later breast fed or not.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:40 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Your question is great; and as a new mom, I've only noticed this is a fact on this website. I've never personally known anyone who BF other than when I was little (long long time ago). As an older mom, I chose to BF due to the immune benefits transferred to baby. I'm so glad I did. I will also make own food cuz I want to know her intake.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:12 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• honestly do babies die from formula? IS IT ILLEGAL?? NO.
    SO I DONT SEE WHY SOME MOMS LIKE TO BASH MOMS FOR FEEDING THE BABY FORMULA! i fed my son breast milk the first 3 months then had to temp for awhile so he is on formula. What does my doctor say? he is healthy. so i say i am doing DAMN good.

NO MOTHER IS PERFECT SO ALL SHE CAN DO IS HER BEST TO GIVE THEIR CHILD THE BEST IN LIFE.
    I MEAN SHOULD A PARENT BE BASHED FOR WANTING ORGANIC FOOD WHEN AS AN INFANT THE CHILD HAD FORMULA? NO.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 2:27 AM on Jan. 11, 2009