DD's birthday, DH has work tomorrow

Tomorrow is my DD's birthday party. DH requested to have off of work tomorrow a month ago, he found out last week he didn't get it off. He has called every coworker possible to see if they could take the shift or trade shifts, no one can. DH hasn't called out in about 5 weeks and he has a LOT of PTOs and he has to be off for DD's birthday. Her party is at a restaurant and we only have one car so if DH has to work, I have no way to get to the party and there is no one who I can ask to drive us (everyone coming to the party already has their car too full to take me, DD and DS or has already told me they will either have to show up late or leave early) so if he doesn't get off work, we will have to cancel DD's birthday party, she is only 5 . Do you think it's reasonable that he calls off work tomorrow? I don't see how he could get in trouble for it since he has the PTOs and he rarely calls off work (he called off 5 weeks ago because I was in preterm labor). Dh is concerned he will get in trouble though. What would you do?

JLS2388

Asked by JLS2388 at 3:48 PM on Dec. 15, 2011 in Money & Work

• I would just go to work and postponed your dd's birthday party...even though he's good with his job in their eyes I woldn't take that chance.
    You can always make-up a party but you can't find a job that quick and easy. GL IMO
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 2:54 PM on Dec. 18, 2011

• At this point, it looks like you will have to wait until Sunday when he gets his schedule to find out what day, you can have her party on. Your guests should understand the circumstances.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:03 PM on Dec. 15, 2011

• A taxi wouldn't be much cheaper either, the place is kinda far.
    JLS2388

Comment by JLS2388 (original poster) at 5:21 PM on Dec. 15, 2011

• We won't know what days he has off until Sunday. We planned the party for the day we did because he was told he would have the day off
    JLS2388

Comment by JLS2388 (original poster) at 5:19 PM on Dec. 15, 2011

• Usually a car rental "day" is one 24-hour period. But if you are in a small market, then it may be too expensive.

There truly is not a single person that either of you know who could either drive one of you or lend you a vehicle for the day? Because if I either didn't want to or couldn't rent a car for the day, I would be borrowing one.

In any event, I don't advise calling in sick. It will tick off the employer and whichever RN is waiting on your DH to relieve him/her. Not good.
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 5:11 PM on Dec. 15, 2011

• Also, what about a taxi? Or other public transportation?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 4:51 PM on Dec. 15, 2011

• Does he have Monday off? I would move the party to Monday then (or another day next week that he knows he has off).

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 4:50 PM on Dec. 15, 2011

• It would be at least $80 to rent a car (there is only one car place around here and we would have to rent it for 2 days because they won't bring the car to you and DH will be leaving for work before the place opens).
    JLS2388

Comment by JLS2388 (original poster) at 4:44 PM on Dec. 15, 2011

• I would not have him call in. He is already aware that there is no one available to work since he has tried to find someone to trade with himself. That is most likely why he didn't get the day off even though he requested it. The employer knows he wanted the day off, calling in sick will put a black mark beside his name.

What would I do? Rent a car for the day. It's cheap and solves the problem.
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 4:32 PM on Dec. 15, 2011

• He doesn't get off work until about 8 PM and won't be home till 9 so moving the party to after work is not an option, he works an hour away so there is no way I could drop him off and pick him up, I would be spending 4 hours in the car not to mention the party starts at 5 and to get to his work on time, I would have to leave the party at 7
    JLS2388

Comment by JLS2388 (original poster) at 4:06 PM on Dec. 15, 2011