What are good first shoes for a brand new walker?

I've heard bare feet are best, but it's Jan in New York City, so I'd like to get my son some shoes.

MomAmandaG

Asked by MomAmandaG at 1:54 AM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I got my daughter nike's because they had good arch support when she started walking! I loved them, when she first started she walked bow legged and ever since she has had those its gotten better and better!!!
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 2:00 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• We loved Robeez and the Target Knock offs. They are so flexable and comfy. The were the only shoes our son would keep on.
    ZakZaksmom

Answer by ZakZaksmom at 2:20 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Stride Rite has some pretty good shoes. Go with a shoe that will support the babys ankles! I've always liked going to Stride Rite, they have a large selection and also a large selection of WIDE shoes which my 1st son had to have!!
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 3:07 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• If you're still going to be carrying him almost everywhere, it doesn't matter, really. Just make sure they're warm for being outside.

Inside, keep him in stocking feet or slippers.....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:53 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Nothing with stiff soles. The Robeez, or similar, soft sole shoes are the best! It's all i've had for my DD. We even have a stash of them for her up to the 24-36 months size! LOL There are many brands, from $10 -50. We've had ShooShoos, Jack & Lilly, Robeez, and several others. Plus they stay on, without having to be tied super tight like most shoes.
    Rik-E

Answer by Rik-E at 7:11 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• NO supporting the ankles, I've been reading (writen by doc's) not to put "walking" shoes on babies, the ones that come up high, I guess there NOT good for they're ankles! I agree with the lady above, Robeez are good and so are little runner's...bare feet is where it's at through really.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:24 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Pipsqueaks! They squeak with each step! My son loves them!
    lilmadmansmom

Answer by lilmadmansmom at 7:31 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• As for shoes go it's better to have a child to learn to walk without so barefoot or socks allowing there ankles to move freely and learn how they work and that's from a therapist standpoint. I do occupational therapy with kids and so I was talking to my co-workers about the same topic for my daughter is 10months. I know when you go out barefoot is not an option so try Stride Rites they are a good show and they make some of them different now that they don't cover the ankle and have a softer sole. They are expensive though so you can always look for them on ebay./
    Colanna1

Answer by Colanna1 at 8:19 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Anything soft soled shoe is good. You DO NOT want hard soles or arch supports or anything like that. You want their feet to develop naturally. I have major arch issues due to my mother being told to put those terrible hard soled things on me when I was younger. In the winter time I put soft soled slippers on mine even when we went outside to travel. I just made sure I carried them. Now if we went out to play in the show then they got boots with hard soles, but that didn't ahppen often
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:23 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• My son has a muscle diease like me. He will have bad feet, weak mucles in the ankles, etc. I always try to go with Stride Rite. They have been good for him. He also has wide feet and you can't get all children's shoes in wide. Nike is also good. A tip is look for them on eBay. I have gotten some incredible deals there. I always looked for used Stride Rites that have been barely worn.
    GinaPQueen

Answer by GinaPQueen at 8:51 AM on Jan. 11, 2009