My son is nearing 6 months old. Griffin is eating solid meals four times a day, with a formula half bottle to chase it down with for three of those meals. When is a good time to start him on milk, and how would I make the transition easy for him? Also, about how old should we start trying to ween him off of the bottle completely? As in, when is it a good time to go 100% solid?

I don't currently have a pediatrician that pays enough attention to detail to ask this, I figured I'd get advice from some experienced moms! According to his doctor, though, he is right on track with his growth and weight.

ktrog

Asked by ktrog at 2:05 AM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• In my opinion (mom of 4 here), he's not getting enough formula now. He should still be getting more formula than solid food. Most people don't start solids at all until 4-6 months.

He can't have cow's milk until 12 months. You've still got a while before you ween him off the bottle.

After you do ween him, though, he should still get formula (or milk if he's over a year old) in a sippy. My kids were all over a year old before we switched to sippies.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 2:10 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• he needs the nutrients in the formula.Do not start milk until at least 1 because his stomach cannot handle the lactose and you can cause alot of issues.Seriously consider more formula,I'm sure if you asked his doc,they would agree.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:12 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I agree with the pp. My son is 5 months and he gets more milk then solids. He only gets solids 2x per day. He eats 6 ounce bottles at a time. Cow's milk is a no go until 12 months
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:13 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• i think your doc would talk to you about this,even if he doesn't 'pay attention".if he seriously doesn't get another doc.messing w/milk at this age can cause probs you may or may not see right away.My kids had formula until 1,no milk .
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:14 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• He needs to have FORMULA until he is at LEAST a year old!! No cows milk unless told otherwise by his doctor! But he needs all of his nutrition and it doesnt sound like he is getting it from just half a bottle of formula! Switch pedi's if you have to, but get him into a Dr who WILL pay attention to your questions! You need a health care PROVIDER for your child! If this Dr isnt doing his/her job then you need to find someone who will. Good Luck!!!
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 2:14 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Hello, Mine will be 6 months Jan. 11. Corey is eating soilds 3 times a day. Cereal in the morning and a bottle of formula. For lunch I give him four once bottle of formula then give him veggie, meat and fruit. when he is done I give him the sippy cup with 2 oz. water. same with dinner. before he goes to bed he gets a 6 oz bottle of formula. I heard to give them regular milk by 12 months & I can start juice ( 1part juce 3 parts water) only in a sippy cup. ) makes it easier to transition to a sippy cup. I am learning as i go.
    Babybubbles711

Answer by Babybubbles711 at 2:15 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I agree...less solids and more formula.
    Although I did give my daughter a sippie cup at six months with formula...but it was a REALLY slow flow one. I say as soon as they can hold their bottle they can move to a sippie cup.
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 2:16 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Peds are typically bad with feeding advice. You've gotten plenty of good direction right here.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:29 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• My dd gets solids once a day, only at dinner time. She gets one veggie and one fruit. The rest of the day is just formula and it will stay this way until she is one. Babies aren't supposed to be eating meat until a year old. I'm surprised how many mothers are so far into solids already. I'm certainly not bashing, just surprised.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:20 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• First, you should ALWAYS be giving him his bottle first, at least 6-8 oz's each feeding. The baby food isn't where all the nutrients are...it's just for practice to learn how to eat, of course it's healthy but not full of everything he Ned's! He needs to be full on the formula first, then go ahead and give him a table spoon of food and desert if you want. This advice came from my doctor and all the book's I've read, and on the Internet websites that are written by the Canadian Pediatric Society!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:35 AM on Jan. 11, 2009