Dyslexia help

My nine year old daughter has Dyslexia. It's very painful to listen to her get through a book, even a simple one. Anyway, does anyone else have a Dyslexic child? I homeschool, so I am trying to get an idea of what other people use to enhance their reading. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:08 AM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think you owe it to her to get a professional involved.Not saying you cannot help her,but she deserves a professional or specialist who can help her faster. good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:10 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I homeschool my dyslexic son too. I have found a few books which are quite helpful through the local library. If you want to pm me then we can talk. It will be difficult, but it can be overcome...the most important thing to remember is to help her self esteem, because if she loses that it will be even harder for her to cope with.

If I can recommend a couple of books, you could read them together. Aunt Morbilia and the Screaming Skulls which is about a boy with dyslexia, and had some really great ideas in it which are helping my son. All Kinds of Minds this book talks about different types of learning difficulties and how every one has special abilities.

Please do contact me if you wish to talk more, and I recently started a group for homeschool parents of kids with learning difficulties you can find a link on my home page if you wish.
    indigostone

Answer by indigostone at 2:38 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• correction...I said overcome and meant managed...sorry for any confusion.
    indigostone

Answer by indigostone at 2:40 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I appreciate this question. Right now my son is in 4th grade and is on an IEP and the teacher decided he is fine and he can stay in the same class ALL DAY. So after 4th grade is over we are transfering schools but hoping to find things to help him in the mean time.

Is there a way to test for dsylexia? His 1st grade special needs suggested it and since then no one has addressed it.
    partiesbyjan

Answer by partiesbyjan at 4:59 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• If there is brail for the blind ,,,is there books written back ward for the this.? I do agree there are special class;; for kids with this do your self a favor an get her some help..this will help you both
    fearful5

Answer by fearful5 at 7:52 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• okay this is a strange suggestion but i overhead some psychologist talking to the head of the special ed dept in my school office (i teach) and he was talking about brain theroy.... (like we dont know why some strategies/tools work but they seem to with many children) he was using the example of putting a blue transparent film or sheet over the words to be read and it really helps dyslex kids to read... again we have no idea WHY it seems to work but try it... you can buy it (blue tinted transparentcy sheets) at any office store like staples...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:01 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• There are some websites that give you read along audio books, text books. Sometimes free if you have documentation that she is dyslexic.:) www.bookflix.com , www.learningthroughlistening.com That way she is still learning. I also found www.connectionsacademy.com. It is a free at home online public school. They have 504 plans, gifted and talented programs and work with your child at their level. They can go to actual virtual classrooms. They may give you a computer and help with paying for internet, they send home all the books and tools you need to home school your child. I am thinking about it once my little ones reach 3rd grade. It is free from 3-10th grade and they are in most states.
    I just read "the Gift of Dyslexia"...his website is www.dyslexia.com training workshops training@dyslexia.com. General inquiries... ddai@dyslexia.com

Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 11:01 AM on May. 11, 2010