acknowlegement of paternity?

if the father doesn't sign this does he still have rights, if he signed the birth certificate?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 AM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Relationships

• Yes he does. If he signed the birth certificate, that's an acknowlegement in the court's eyes. In order to be ON the birth certificate he had to have signed a paternity affidavit
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:39 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• he didnt he throw the papers out bc it said custody and never actually read it, hes a real asshole and i just want no contact with him anymore
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:42 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• if he's on the BC he has rights. however depending on what state you live in those rights vary. some states give fathers equal rights, others give the mother sole physical and legal custody until the father petitions the courts for custody/visitation.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 2:48 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• If he's on the birth certificate then that means that he signed a paternity affidavit (which is the same as an acknowledgment). Did the hospital give you one of those with the birth certificate? If he signed that then he has equal rights.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 2:49 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I live in pa, no they gave use a packet that said he acknowledged that he was the father or he wanted a paternity test. he never signed it or even opened it. He doesn’t want anything that has to do with custody bc he doesn’t want to help pay for her but still wants all the rights which is bull. Id rather raise her by myself. Anyway I can get his right terminated? I’m 19 so I don’t know what the hell im doing, I just know were better of alone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:55 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• he shouldnt have been able to sign the BC if he didnt sign acknowlegement first.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:58 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• lol, if he doesn't want custody or to pay child support what does he want? there isn't much left.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 2:58 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Unless he signs over parental rights to the child he is still responsible for support. If you dont want anything to do with him, than I would see if he will sign that. Tell him he wont have to pay anything if he signs it. Maybe you will get lucky, ;)
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 2:59 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• On monday what you need to do is contact your Superior Court's Facilitator and talk to one of them. It is usually free or in my count is $20 which is nothing. They will tell you what you need to do and what he signed. Your state is probably different than mine. In washington state they have to sign the paternity affidavit in order to be on the birth certificate if not married. If he's on the birth certificate he had to have signed something. I believe that all counties have a law library (usually located within the courthouse) that you can purchase a packet of papers that have all the forms you need for child support, etc. The only way here that rights can be terminated is if there's abandoment, abuse, or the father is willing to let someone else adopt the child (your new husband if applicable)
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 3:03 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• He wants to show her off. Like this is some prize he won. This is my baby not a freaken toy. Hes always says if i don’t let him see her hes going to take me for custody. He angers me very much and i just want him out of her life shes sooo much better. His family and him are nothing but white trash and he’s controlling and abusive.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:04 AM on Jan. 11, 2009