Questions about swollen lymph node in 3 year old....

For the last 2 years my son has 1 lymph node on the right side of his neck that is noticeable all the time. It ranges in size pinto bean size to a quarter. It does seem to be worse when he is sick. The doc tells me it is nothing to worry about, that some kids have "nodes" like this. My MIL says that her youngest son had 3 "nodes" like this on the right side of his neck and the docs always told her the same thing. Does anyone know someone who can relate to this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:10 AM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I know what you mean.....

I do know my brother had several as a child and is now 26 and is fine. They did go away.

Currently now my 3.5 year old has a huge one behind the top of her right ear since she was a baby. Almost in her scalp area. All the doctors keep blowing it off too. She also has a fever disorder though and we think that is what caused it. She has had many tests for her fever disorder and does not have cancer or anything and is thriving, so I hope the helps to hear good news.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 2:16 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• My lymph nodes have always stayed enlarged, the ones under my chin line, but I am completely and perfectly healthy. I would take note to the size of them during good health, so you can recognize when he is not feeling well, and when they are enlarged. Remember, too, that the body has lymph nodes in the back of the head at the base, in the arm pits and also in the groin. Whenever your child is sick, the lymph nodes where the body has infection, those nodes will be enlarged. For instance, if your child has an ear infection on the right side, likely the right node will be large. That's just a minor way to examine a child for sickness.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 8:00 PM on Jan. 11, 2009