My 23 day old premmie (month and a half early) keep spitting up her food

About 30min to an hr after feeding my 23day old will spit up her food thru er mouth and nose. she chokes on it everytime. she scared me to death earlier tonight. I dont know if it was because she was spitting up a lot or what.. but she turned blue.. and began to shake. I was soo scared. After I cleaned her up I just sat there and held her and cried. I'm afraid to leave her sight now after feedings..because she ALWAYS will end up spitting it back up through her mouth and nose. I dont know what to do.. (I do burp her after feedings) Any ideas how I can keep this from happening?

brzlngoddess

Asked by brzlngoddess at 3:28 AM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If she turned blue and was shaking I would take her to the ER!!!! That is serious...
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 3:31 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Are you using bottle nipples that the hospital gave you? If not, then it's possible that the nipple hole is too large and she is getting too much milk and just can't keep it down. Maybe you are laying her down too soon after eating and it just comes back up..try holding her for 30 min. afterwords. I'm sorry you are dealing with this...if you have someone to come and watch her for a little while so you can rest you should do that...it's so important to rest if you can. Good luck.
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 3:32 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Im actually a single mom... and my family lives out of the country. (brazil). I am using the bottle nipples the hospital gave me. After feedings i hold her for atleast 20-30 min.
    brzlngoddess

Answer by brzlngoddess at 4:29 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Sounds like she has reflux. But as she was a premmie I think it's something you need to talk to her pediatrician about. I would get her in ASAP.
    For now give smaller feedings more frequently. Keep her at an incline, even while sleeping. Burp often. And keep a bulb syringe by her at all times.
    If she ever turns blue again you should call 911
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:16 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• That's pretty severe. You really need to talk to a doctor. And after turning blue, you should have at the LEAST called someone then!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:16 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• My son is now 2 1/2 but was 8 1/2 weeks early. We had to have his head up higher than his feet in the crib (most have wholes to lower and raise the crib, just but them on different ones). We tried everything, smaller holes in the nipple, less feedings, everything short of medicine. I talked to the pedi about it and did what they tried. Soon they wanted to put him on reflux medications (which is VERY common with preemies) and that still wasn't working. Turned out he was lactos intolerant. I had to switch him to lactos free formula.

Call your pediatrion and see what s/he says. They might have you try a few different things. I agree with the poster who said keep a suction bulb by her. I would maybe buy a few and have them all over the house in easy to grab places.

Good luck
    sm79109

Answer by sm79109 at 7:58 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Ya def. take the baby to the docs and if he can't give you any answers call an Occupational and/or speech therapist who may be able to give you some feeding advice. Sounds like a possible reflux or the baby can't tolerate the formula, and it could be the baby doesn't have a good suck/swallow pattern. Good Luck with finding some answers
    Colanna1

Answer by Colanna1 at 8:29 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• A preemie's system is not fully developed yet, so spitting is somewhat normal for them...However, if it is a great quantity of her feeding, that is not normal and could be acid reflux. My dd was a preemie by 5.5 weeks..born at 34 w 3 days. She had reflux and the ped told us to add 1 tsp of rice cereal to her bottle at every feeding and that will help her keep it down... sure enough, it did help. She was 10 weeks old when we started that and she is now 5 months old.
    I would contact her ped and see what they say. We also held her upright for a while afterwards or put her in her swing.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 8:36 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• My daughter did the same thing, used to scare the hell out me. We found out her sphincter (sp?) valve wasn't fully developed so that's why she ws throwing up so much. As long as she is still gaining weight then she will be fine.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 10:19 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• thank u all so much 4 your advice..means a lot!!
    brzlngoddess

Answer by brzlngoddess at 3:22 PM on Jan. 11, 2009