Wiccaning

We are going to be doing a wiccaning for my two girls. (One is two the other is 8 mos.) Do you have any ideas for the ceremony and or the celebration. I know that we will probably do a divination and choose a patron diety for them, just so they can work with a goddess until they personally find their own. Did you do a blessingway and if so what did you do? Any recommendations for me?

NightOwlMama

Asked by NightOwlMama at 3:52 AM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• OP...I found this....
    How is it set-up?

Well, that is also up to you as it should be special and memorable. Here are some ideas that you may use if you wish.

The Altar: decorated with fresh flowers (new beginnings), white candles (purity), milk, salt, incense, soil (the 4 elements).

Room Decoration: bright colors, clean smells, happy sounds. You could play calming music, use flowers for clean smells and use decorations that are made from bright colors. Homemade decorations are the best as the personalize the ritual.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 4:01 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I am such a bad pagan mommy, my boy is 3 and we have not wiccaned him yet... :o)

The practice we used in my old temple was a basic ring casting, followed by presenting the child to the quarters and giving him/her a "hidden name" to be used in magic by him'her and your family and loved ones. Then a basic invocation at the altar that all the gods watch over your child and guide them as they find their own path. Followed by closing the ring and having a full celebration. The Great Rite is optional
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 4:06 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• You are going to involve your children in the worship of evil spirits? Shouldn't you a least give them the chance to choose their own religion, if any, when they are old enough to know the difference??? I know this witch-practice must hold some allure for you..but these are your innocent babies...please think twice!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:24 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I suppose some peoples mothers never taught them that if they had nothing nice to say to keep their traps shut.

As for the Wiccaning....I remember reading about getting them something special that was left out during the full moon, particularly something silver(for good luck,etc). I was going to do a coin. We havent done one either for our sons.

I wish you tons of luck and hope it goes well.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 8:35 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I agree with jesusiswelcome and anon.7:24! I'll be praying for those precious babies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:45 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I am not wiccan, so I cannont give you any advice on your ceremony. I do however want to say that I think it's so sad you came on here looking for advice, and received mostly judgement. Because you know Christian Mommies never force their beliefs on their small children, right?

Good luck with your ceremony. I'm sure that whatever you decide, it will be beautiful!
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 9:09 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• A Wiccaning is basically the same as a dedication of children to the Christian God. This presents the children for a blessing and asks the guidance and protection of the Gods over their lives and to help keep them safe. How anyone can object to this is puzzling to me, as I think all mothers know we need all the help we can get.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 9:20 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• This question was obviously posed to those who practice Wicca. The rest of you (non loving, ignorant people) can BUTT OUT!!
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 9:25 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I have not done one for my kids because their father is Christian... But we did one for my friends little girl.

Here's a great How To... Make sure to personalize!!

http://paganwiccan.about.com/od/paganbabies/ht/Baby_Naming.htm

Blessed Be!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:34 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• You people have no idea what your talking about, demonic spirits! If you had any inkling what wicca and pagan practices are, you would not have said that.

What the OP is asking about is the same thing as "confirmation" or " accepting Christ at a young age" in other religions.

Get over yourselves!!
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 10:10 AM on Jan. 11, 2009