Should I be worried that my 21 month old rarely talks?

He grunts & sometimes it appears that he understands me. He doesn't really follow basic instructions like, " give that to daddy." Maybe I'm overreacting but what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:08 AM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Your DS is probably just fine, boys talk later at around 24 mos, per ECI (Early Childhood Intervention) . Our 21 m/o understands "give that to daddy" but usually decides his idea is better, "nah, I'll keep it" However since ours only says a few words (mainly b/c I know what he wants & just give it to him, so he doesn't NEED to talk so much) I did have ECI evaluate him. He scores high on understanding/cognitive & social skills, but low on expressing language. They gave me some tips on how to help him & can work with him. They at least relieved my concerns. He probably will catch up on his own, but we are going to work with them to speed things along. Good luck!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 7:57 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I would ask his pediatrician for an evaluation, I don't think that you are over reacting at all. I would be concerned too. He may just be a quiet, intervert. What a lucky mommie you would be. Just To be sure get some professional advice. good luck.
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 6:32 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Either speak with your pediatrician or call your local Early Intervention. Have him evaluated just to be sure. It might be just the way he is, but it's not going to hurt to be sure and it will give you piece of mind.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:03 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• PS they might check his hearing if they think the problem is there.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 7:58 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Well it depends how much is being said. By two the child should be saying two words together. I only know this for i do Occupational therapy and work with a team of speech and physical therapist. So if your concerned get a script from the doc for a speech eval
    Colanna1

Answer by Colanna1 at 8:36 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• My son was about that age when his doctor recommended, he be tested thru Easter Seals. We got him tested and he was accepted for speech services. He was diagnosed with Apraxia. He had service thru Easter Seals until he turned 3 and now he was accepted into a pre-school for speech delayed children. He is 3.5 now and loves the school. He goes 5 mornings a week. He has had progress, but it's been slow. I would recommend speaking with your child's peditrician as to where you should go, but don't wait!
    GinaPQueen

Answer by GinaPQueen at 8:47 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Honestly, I wouldnt worry about it. If you are really concern then talk to the Ped when he hits 2 and see what he/she says.

My middle boy is 2 1/2 and just now really saying stuff,etc. For us I believe it had to do with others talking for him, especially his older brother.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 8:54 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• According to our Early Intervention evaluators, children (boys included) should be able to say about 50 words and use two word phrases.

My youngest was evaluated at 21 months. He said NOTHING. He would babble, but only around us. He scored high cognitively, socially and in understanding language. He scored too low for expressive language. He has a severe language delay and is now receiving speech therapy. As part of the evaluation, his hearing was checked.

"Boys talk later than girls" is not a fact.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:55 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• MY DAUGHTER IS 24 MONTHS AND SHE WAS LIKE THAT WHEN DHE WAS AROUND 21 MONTHS. JUST READ TO YOUR CHILD EVERYDAY AND YOULL SEE AN IMPROVEMENT. DONT WORRY SO MUCH BUT COMMENT THIS TO THE PEDIATRICIAN,
    hmomr

Answer by hmomr at 11:17 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Don't worry about it. I had one that never shut up and one that didn't start talking till he was 3 yrs old.
    After taking to his Dr. I was told that when he had something to say he'll talk until then just enjoy him, which we did and he's now 51 yrs old and has lots to say.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Jan. 11, 2009