My neighbor's dog

Keeps breaking his chain and climbing my 6' fence.

It wouldn't bother me, but I have 3 bitches that come in heat together. I raise cattle dogs, rat terriers, and in two years, my doberman will be breeding. My puppies are all sold before they hit the ground, and I raise one litter every other cycle, so spare me the "Please spay." Comments as they're no help here.

Ben, the coonhound, already bred my prized Aussie in July, and we were blessed with 11 puppies I could barely even GIVE away. I'm afraid he's going to do it again, he's already practically ruined her next two litters because of the effects from the last litter. So, in order to retain my dog's health, she HAS to stay open this cycle. If he got to my rat terrier, labor would kill her. My doberman is 8mo, and WAY too young for a litter.

Now, back to the neighbor's dog. He climbs the fence, trees my cat, chases the pony, has cornered calves in the past. We leave the garage cracked so the dogs can come in if it rains or for whatever reason. He comes in, pisses all over my children's toys, dogs' water bucket, outdoor beds, my deep freezer, my husband's toolboxes, air compressor... everything he can hike his leg too. He even peed on my 1yo in July. I'm ready to shoot him, really.

How would you handle this? I feel like my fence should serve a purpose of keeping my animals in, and that it shouldn't be my responsibility to keep his dog OUT. I'm considering hotwire, but I feel like that's an expense the neighbor should take responsibility for since his dog doesn't stay home! My dogs NEVER get out, we have 5 acres fenced for them. I'm sick of calling him to come get his dog.

Worst part is, it isn't just his dog. The dog is just my major concern because of my breeding stock. If they were spayed pets, no biggie. But we're talking show dogs, and I pay taxes on puppies they produce! He's got horses that get out too. Three of them. They get out a couple times a week. They run up and down the length of the fence to the paddock my ds' pony is in and they tear up the lawn between the paddock and the road which in turn tears up my mower! They make terrible pits in that part of the yard, and if it has recently rained, puddles will form.

Now, I've got horses, and I'm a reasonable person, but we are talking about a college kid that "forgets" to close his gate, has friends coming and going all the time and if my pony and horses are up, his make a mad dash through the gate to come say hi. I'm just sick of calling him about it. His grandpa is the mayor here, and pastor at one of the two churches in town, calling the sheriff's dept does no good. Idk what else I can do! My last resort is going to be an airsoft gun, and just ping the boogers when they come over. But I know it isn't their fault, but neighbor has GOT to learn to keep a handle on his animals, and take responsibility for the things they tear up! What should I do? I've talked to him kindly, and roughly... to no avail. He says he's sorry, and then it happens again.

matobe

Asked by matobe at 2:02 PM on Dec. 16, 2011 in Pets

• What about seeing if they would neuter their dog? They say they calm down after that.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 2:09 PM on Dec. 16, 2011

• I think next time he came in my yard, I'd neuter him myself :)
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 2:16 PM on Dec. 16, 2011

• Call the cops.

Answer by louise2 at 2:17 PM on Dec. 16, 2011

• He's joked about it before, and I just talked to my husband, he said when he called the neighbor today that last wknd they stretched him out and banded him... SAY WHAT?? Ok, banding is a procedure used on bull calves where they use a contraption to tie off the calf's circulation to his nuts and split the sac with a scalpel, over the next wk or so, they fall off... DO YOU KNOW HOW DANGEROUS AND PAINFUL THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN FOR THAT POOR DOG?!!
    matobe

Comment by matobe (original poster) at 2:24 PM on Dec. 16, 2011

• Get yourself a watch dog. Some ferocious breed (which is legal), neuter him and train him to keep the neighbors dog away
    cookie269

Answer by cookie269 at 2:52 PM on Dec. 16, 2011

• Okay I just read your entire post (read half of it first, sorry.. It was too long)
    Anyways you need to get yourself a pack of watch dogs. All neutered of course. Maybe 3-4? They'll take care of everything
    cookie269

Answer by cookie269 at 2:56 PM on Dec. 16, 2011

• I would handle it by being a responsible dog owner and spaying my dogs. Since that's obviously not an option for you, I'd keep them under lock and key when they were in heat. Outside for potty - on leashes - then back inside.

People who don't neuter their dogs are pains in the ass...People that don't spay are just as bad.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 3:01 PM on Dec. 16, 2011

• Thanks, FFA, for YET AGAIN, a non-helpful response. There is no reason to keep my dogs under lock and key just because they're breeding stock. They're part of my family, and this is their yard. I don't keep them in stacked kennels, in kennels period, and they have jobs and functions. My Aussie is a working dog as well as competed in conformation shows, my rattie also has show titles and hunts squirrel and rabbits, and my doberman will be training in search and rescue in a course next fall. So, tyvm, again, for your worthless input. I really don't need to explain myself to you.
    matobe

Comment by matobe (original poster) at 3:11 PM on Dec. 16, 2011

• I won't comment on the breeding since you don't want my opinion on that. The real issue here is that the neighbor can't control his animals and no one should have to worry about a strange dog coming into their yard. What if he was a vicious dog that bit your kids or something? You have a reasonable expectation of privacy and security in your own yard. I would call animal control about the offending dog. It's likely that if your neighbor starts getting ticketed and fined, he will start controlling his dog.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:15 PM on Dec. 16, 2011

• Get a pellet gun and shoot him when he comes into your yard, he should take the hint pretty quickly. Bringing your females inside when they are in heat is not a bad idea until you can keep the neighbor's dog out of bounds. Speak to him again, I don't know what state you are in, but here, in Texas, it is perfectly legal to shoot a dog that is threatening (chasing) livestock or people. Check into your local ordinances at your city hall.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 3:21 PM on Dec. 16, 2011