HELP!!! New cat is stuck under the couch...

My mom's friend gave us her cat, Angel, because she couldn't have him anymore due to living on a houseboat (poor thing got sea sick). So we offered to take the cat. He's 10 years old. At first everything was fine but my 3 yr old ran after him and scared him. He went behind our sectional sofa and somehow managed to get under it. This was 4 pm yesterday. It's now almost 7 am and he still hasn't come out. Poor thing must be hungry and thirsty. I put a can of cat food behind the couch. He started meowing and I could hear him move around under the couch but he never came out. I think he's trapped!

Our sofa doesn't come apart like most sectionals. I know it can because when it was delivered they brought it in in pieces. But I can't figure out how to get it apart. I'm beside myself with worry.

Any suggestions? Any at all? Please help!

amethystrse

Asked by amethystrse at 6:56 AM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Pets

• Try turning the couch on it's back to see if you can tell if he is stuck . We had a big,big cat once that ripped open the back of a leather couch to hide, and she got stuck in one of the springs and small board. Also if the couch is on it's back you will be able to see or find him. True if you leave him and he's not stuck he will come out eventual, when he is ready. I know it's tuff to turn the couch on it's back, but if he is meowing a lot you may have to ,to get him out...Good luck...

doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 7:41 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Is there anyway that you can lift it up just a little bit and have some kind of fishy food close so he can smell it. He is scared and will come out when he is ready, but, him not eating is not good.Or tilt the sofa in a way that he can come out..
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 7:49 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• It's a sectional which means it's in an L shape. It's really difficult to lift because you can only get one side and not lift it very far.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 7:52 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• leave it alone. It is hiding because it is frightened.
    Just leave out food and water; it wil come out when everyone is either gone or sleeping.
    Jesusiswelcome

Answer by Jesusiswelcome at 8:03 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• That's what I thought. But it didn't come out all night. It's food, water, and litter box are all untouched. I tried putting food behind the couch and he started meowing but never came out. Maybe I'm freaking out over nothing. *sigh* I'm just worred about him.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 8:13 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• there isn't any rips in the underlining right? Like he can't climb in to the stuffing and springs? If not, then he probably is just scared, but you can use a sturdy book or two and prop up the side you think he's under and put the food/water right near the sofa, where he can see it. He fit under there without help so a few inches extra from a book under one foot would give him enough room to turn around if he is stuck..and it will give you piece of mind as well. Hope he comes out soon:)
    Mickey37

Answer by Mickey37 at 8:19 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Leave it alone. I have had cats my entire life and when you bring a new one into the home, particularly when its not a kitten they will hide until they feel comfortable to come out. It isnt dangerous. I would only worry if the cat doesnt come out in a day or two. Just put some food and water at the entrance the cat went in on. Or near by. The cat will smell it. You can also try luring it out with tuna.

Answer by gemgem at 8:19 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• We had a cat do this. We adopted a cat when the cat was almost 8 yrs old. The cat hid for the fist several weeks after we got him. The cat eventually desided to come out from hiding. Cats like to hide when they are frightened. Don't try to drag the cat out, let the cat come out when he/she is ready. Leave food/water out, the cat will come out when the house is quiet and eat (probably when you are all sleeping) and then may go back into hiding. Leave the cat be, so you don't frighten him/her any more than you have to. Cats can also go w/out using the bathroom for long periods of time . . . . the cat will come out when ready.
    Anonymous