To all nurses and midwifes...HELP?

I have two questions....

1. How long does it take to become a midwife or nurse and what are included?

2. Can a 14 year old work on a maternity ward for work experience? (she is in year 10 and year away from finishing school)

Mummytomore

Asked by Mummytomore at 7:45 AM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Money & Work

• I agree with anon above. It's about 2 yrs. for the nursing program. But there are around 2 years of prereqs before you can get into the program. And this is for an RN with an associates. I am still taking my prereqs now, hopefully to get into the program in fall 2010.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Once in the nursing program its aprrox 1 1/2 - 2 years. But there is about 2 years of pre req classes before that so about 3-4 years. Most colleges base your GPA on when/how soon you'll get into the program. So she will need to keep that up! It could take well over a year up to two years to get in the program as well. Unless she goes to a school for just nursing. Also, hospitals don't hire anyone under 16 sometimes 18 around here. There is probably no way a 14 yr old can get on the floor. That is just goofy. You have to realize the risks that would come along with have a 14 yr old on the floor. It just would not make sense.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Jan. 11, 2009