Green/teal stool 20 month old. advice please!!!

my son is 20 months old and he recently has been having very odd colored stool it is green a lot and occasionally blue he is not around markers or crayons therefore it's not the color from the crayons but this odd stool has web happening quite often be I am starting to get worried?? does anyone have by suggestions

mommy410111

Asked by mommy410111 at 5:31 PM on Dec. 16, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Call the pediatrician.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 5:32 PM on Dec. 16, 2011

• I'm not sure what other answer you are looking for but I posted 2 answers for you before that explain it... here they are again...

has he been eating any food that are artificially blue? ice cream? yogurt? go-gurt? juice? candy? blue pancakes?
    It can change the stool to a playdough looking color. It's surprising the first time you see it, but once you realize the correlation it all makes sense.
    Don't be alarmed... just start looking for the connection between what he eats and what comes out.

Also, it can be cause by unabsorbed iron - but that would mean your ds would have to be still on formula or eating large amounts of beans, spinach, other foods high in iron.

My guess though is that there has been something blue or purple or black in his diet and if you check the artificial color ingredients, more than likely there is Blue in it
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 5:34 PM on Dec. 16, 2011

• Been drinking grape juice, or kool-aid?
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 5:38 PM on Dec. 16, 2011

• Throughout the life of an ordinary human, one may experience many types of feces. A "green" stool is from rapid transit of feces through the intestines (or the consumption of certain blue or green food dyes in quantity), and "clay-like" appearance to the feces is the result of a lack of bilirubin.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feces
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 5:42 PM on Dec. 16, 2011

• I did not mean to post this twice my phone messed up but I appreciate everyone's help
    mommy410111

Comment by mommy410111 (original poster) at 5:51 PM on Dec. 16, 2011

• Ask the dr.
    GirlWithANikon

Answer by GirlWithANikon at 7:19 PM on Dec. 16, 2011

• I don't think this warrants a trip to the doctor at all. It is almost certainly caused from dye in food. Blue, red, green, purple...the dyes all screw up your poop color.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:24 PM on Dec. 16, 2011