can anyone tell me about whooping cough?

my little girl is sick with a cold i think.she is coughing and has a runny nose.she is coughing alot.i am also sick but not coughing as much.i am giving her medicine trying to get her better without having to see the dr. she hates going.lol anyway i have heard there is a lot of things going around and back in decemember sometime i heard about whooping cough can anyone tell me about it? could she maybe have this?

alyssa1

Asked by alyssa1 at 8:01 AM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Health

• Its a respiratory disease caused by bacterium that is prevented with immunization.
    http://www.medicinenet.com/pertussis/article.htm

Answer by gemgem at 8:03 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I had Atypical Pertussis, aka, whooping cough, just a few years ago b/c, even though I had been vaccinated, the vaccine had worn off, but that's another post.....The thing is, with whooping cough you get a very dry, very harsh, painful barking cough and, in a child, it does sound like they are "whooping", hence its name. Regardless of whether or not your DD's illness fits this description, you should take her to the doc. if she's been sick for more than a few days or has a fever, because it could just as easily be pneumonia or bronchitis or something else that requires antibiotics to cure.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 12:05 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• if it was whooping cough you wouldn't have to ask. It's so violent and a whoop of a cough the children who get it make a sound as they inhale for the next breath with the cough that is explained in the answer above.
    Here there is a cough cold going around in the NW my clients have it some of my relatives have it so something is going around. The flu shot is a guess at what is to come and they didn't guess right. lol Anyway to support your child give them the old fashioned tested and true hydration, rest, TLC!
    If you two don't improve I would contact a ND.
    massagegiftmom

Answer by massagegiftmom at 12:56 PM on Jan. 11, 2009