U/S and oversized kidney Down Syndrome marker??

I recently has a detailed U/S and they found the right kidney of my son was larger (left 1.5 mm, right 4 mm) the doctor said this is a soft marker for Down Syndrome.
(bit of background), this is my second pregnancy, I am 38, was tested and came back positive as a grouping that could have the trisomy 13, for my first,my baby girl is perfect. I refused the blood test this time, as it only puts you in the positive or not catagory, and scared the bejesus outta me.
Though this time the u/s did show the kidney, and doc said that my age is also a factor. Though never came right out and said yes or no, left me hanging with the is he or isn't he effected.
Has anyone been through the same, or any advice?
Now, yet again I am scared of birth defect.

LeahRoush

Asked by LeahRoush at 8:10 AM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My friend has been through it. They usually dont tell you they will have downs because tests are often wrong. They told my friend her blood test had an abnormality & the u/s gave the baby odds of having downs. They offered her an abortion. She didnt know what to do and called me. I asked her this. Would it affect the love you have for this child if it was born with downs? She said no. She had the baby in Aug and we all were prepared and read all the books and had a team ready to help her out with a down baby. The baby did not have downs. All that worry and panic and she was a perfectly healthy 9 lb baby girl.

Answer by gemgem at 8:13 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I'm kind of going through this right now. I just had an US where they found the baby has a Single Umbilical Artery (there should be 2 arteries and a vein), and the kidneys showed up bright on the US, Also I'm measuring very small. I had the Quad screen and it came back negative so now I have to go in for an echo cardiogram to make sure the heart has formed ok.

They offered me an Amnio and I'm considering it but still not sure if I should or not.

I'm completely scared of something being wrong with my baby. I don't really have any advice, just thought I'd share I'm in the same boat. My husband and I will love this baby regardless, but I'm so afraid we won't know how to deal.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 8:44 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I had an amnio done last monday because my blood tests came back abnormal. 1 in 181. I'm still waiting for the results. If you are that scared about the DS have them do the amnio to be sure. That is the only way you are going to get an accurate answer. I chose to because I was not about to worry for the rest of my pregnancy. Good luck!
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 10:17 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I took the blood test for abnormalities with my first and it came back fine. But they saw enlarged kidneys on the ultrasound. I had to have 5 more U/S and finally I couldn't take it any more. I said there is nothing I can do about it, if he has down syndrome it's not going to matter to me. He was born perfectly fine. I now decline to have that test as I would rather not know, I will love my babies no matter what
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 11:50 AM on Jan. 11, 2009