Do what makes you happy!

OK, So i live in Utah and my only sister lives in Cali 8-10 hours away. She is 19 just lost her job because they went bankrupt. But anyway, so my husband and i decided we wanted her to come visit us. She has no money, so we got her a train ticket because it was cheap. So she came 2 days ago and i picked her up. Well our mother lives in Utah and wasn't very happy that i did this. I'm 22 my husband is 24 and my sister is 19. Sounds like we are all adults to me. So We kept calling her yesterday and she wouldn't answer. So we drove over there and she wasn't home. Well our mom finally called us and said she was very disappointed in us and didn't want to see my sister while she was here. RUDE! Then she said to us you guys are conspiring against me. WHAT THE HELL! I don't know what she is talking about. But I'm really pissed because i did what made me happy and my mother is going on crazy now. Do you see anything wrong with this?

BallardMomma

Asked by BallardMomma at 8:51 AM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• What is up with your mom?!
    I would just enjoy your sister's visit and make polite call attempts to your mom every couple of days in an attempt to invite her to a family visit or something. If she keeps ignoring you or gets nasty then the end result is on her, not you.
    Don't be offended or feel guilty. There is obviously something deeply rooted in your mom's emotional feelings and it isn't up to you to guess what it is. If she won't talk about it, then she can't expect you to be psychic about it.
    Enjoy your time with your sister!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:06 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Sounds like there are underlying issues between mom and sis and maybe your mom thinks you are getting in the middle of those issues. I would just tell your mom you dont know what issues she has with your sister but that isnt why you brought her there, you brought her there because you wanted her there and if there is some other reason she shouldnt be there she can let you know. I would also say you know in the future if there is a reason you dont want someone around saying something before I decide to bring them would solve problems like this. Now if there are no issues then I would say your mom has a control issue problem.

Answer by gemgem at 9:09 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• My mom is crazy. If its not approved by her or up to her standards then you might as well jump off a bridge... But im over trying to make her happy... I need to be happy. !
    BallardMomma

Answer by BallardMomma at 9:10 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Thats all you can do. She sounds like she has issues with control. More then likely it is because there is an aspect in her life she cannot control.

Answer by gemgem at 9:20 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I agree, it sounds like a control thing. She probably considers your sister, at least, as still under her control, and it is a shock to her to find that what she thought is true, isn't. I hope that in time she'll adjust to the change in what she thought was true, that she isn't in control of your sister and of you. Be patient with her and loving, it will help things to smooth over more quickly. Even if it really goes against the grain to try to be patient when every instinct says that she is being mean.

Answer by Bmat at 9:41 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• You did what you thought would make EVERYONE happy. However, in this world, it's impossible to make everyone happy. It's sad that your mom was so paranoid and missed out on a good time with her family. 19, 22 & 24 seem really young to me, but like you said, you are adults! You did a great job with your sister, and don't let anyone tell you diffent. Just have fun and be happy!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Jan. 11, 2009