Do you get your kids......

the toys that are most popular, or what you think they would want? Now, I know sometimes these can actually be the same thing, but I am talking about if your kid wants a science kit and a big toy gun is popular at the time. I guess I am basically asking, do you try to keep your kids happy with gifts that they will like or that will keep them popular?
-Ashley

spiritguide_23

Asked by spiritguide_23 at 10:30 PM on Dec. 16, 2011 in Holidays

• I buy what I think/hope they will truly enjoy and use. The last thing I want is to have wasted money on junk they'll never look at.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 10:35 PM on Dec. 16, 2011

• My kids don't care about being popular, maybe because they are still young. They just want the toys that they want. I try to get them what they want if I can afford it.
    JayRo00

Answer by JayRo00 at 10:35 PM on Dec. 16, 2011

• I get them what I think they would like or what I think would be good for them.. ( like learning toys ) Sometime its something popular ( right now ) and sometimes it isnt..
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 10:37 PM on Dec. 16, 2011

• The last thing I want my child to get used to is the idea of always having the "it" items simply bc they are popular. With that said she gets what she has asked for & what I think she will enjoy. She is currently on 4 (tomorrow) so she has a rather large list this year but some things on her list I know she wont actually be interested in she just wants it to want it. So with that said if I dont think she'll actually use it I wont waste my money.

Example of this would be La La Loopsy, she got one & that thing just sits in the net of other doll/animals untouched. Now she wants the muffin girl thing, I put it on MIL list however, I dont believe she will actually use it therefore I am not wasting my money on it.
    reindeergames

Answer by reindeergames at 10:43 PM on Dec. 16, 2011

• I get them what they show interest in or what I think would be appropriate, I could care less how popular the item is and care even less if the gift makes them popular, I have never even though of that!!! Wow!! If my child was to be popular i would want it to be for who she is not what she has.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 10:51 PM on Dec. 16, 2011

• The reason I ask is because tomorrow is my dh's families Christmas party. They always get presents for my kids, so I know they will come home with some. I also know that they will come home with some that they won't actually play with, especially my youngest son. He has an ASD and is very particular with what he will play with. My dh's family doesn't really know him that well, so they usually end up giving him what they THINK he will like and it usually ends up being donated somewhere or going to my other son. It makes me feel bad that he sees his brother and sister getting stuff they like, while he gets stuff he isn't really interested in.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Comment by spiritguide_23 (original poster) at 10:55 PM on Dec. 16, 2011

• what they ask for DD wanted a bike and DS wanted a ds
    Blessed_mom1102

Answer by Blessed_mom1102 at 11:07 PM on Dec. 16, 2011

• My kids use to be able to get a couple things they want,however this year money is tight so I will have to just go with my gut and hope I find something they will like. They really need clothes,bed sheets and blankets something fierce. And new pillows I might get them that.
    Some moms told me that's not a bad idea especially if they need it,
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 11:28 PM on Dec. 16, 2011

• Next year have the kids email or hand them a wish list for Christmas gifts. Then tell them that the kids are getting older and you know it can be more difficult to find toys for them at this age, so they made a list of toys they really want. Tell them they are welcome to use their lists, if they like. Since they buy gifts for them, they will probably embrace this list. And your kids will all be happy with the gifts!

We do this for family and close friends and it works great.

As for me, I buy my kids some of the fad gifts they really want, even if I feel they are pointless. Best example this year is the remote controlled shark for my son. I caved on that one! UGH! Mostly I try to buy things that are more educational and will hold their interest longer. But I never get them a gadget for status or to one up the other kids...believe me we have enough of that around us in this community. It gets a little ridiculous!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:31 PM on Dec. 16, 2011

• I get my ds what he asks for
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 11:55 PM on Dec. 16, 2011