Babies and T.V time?

My daughter is 2 1/2 months old and LOVES cartoons. I've been letting her lay on her floor gym and watch about 20-30 minutes in the morning to give me time to have a cup of coffee, but I feel like I'm being a bad mom for doing that. She is watching educational cartoons atleast. Is this a bad idea?

Laura_101008

Asked by Laura_101008 at 9:11 AM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's not a problem. All she's doing is noticing the movement and bright colors.

As she grows, you want to make sure she's not just watching TV and not playing or doing other things.

It does not mess with the development of the brain or lead to behavioral disorders. It creates a problem when all the kid does is watch TV...they're addicted to it and won't do anything else...they develop low energy levels and possibly develop weight problems.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:16 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• She isnt really watching them like a child would. She is just watching the colors and movement. I dont see a problem with it if it isnt an all day thing.

Answer by gemgem at 9:14 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I don't think it's bad. Just don't do it any more than you are already. I've read that the constant flashing of colors and stuff messes with the development of the child's brain and can lead to behavioral disorders.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:19 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Does TV affect children's brain development?
    With television programs—and even a cable channel—designed and marketed specifically for babies, whether kids under two years of age should be watching becomes an important question. While we are learning more all the time about early brain development, we do not have a clear idea how television may affect it. Some studies link early TV viewing with later attention problems, such as ADHD. However, other experts disagree with these results. One study found that TV viewing before age three slightly hurt several measures of later cognitive development, but that between ages three and five it slightly helped reading scores.

http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/yourchild/tv.htm

Better to be safe than sorry IMO.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:42 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I think it is just fine, my dd 18 months LOVES Dora the Explorer. I let her watch. Mind you she only actually sits and watches for 10 minutes at a time. She will usually be playing when it is on.
    stylestar86

Answer by stylestar86 at 10:43 AM on Jan. 11, 2009