Why do mommas still smoke while pregnant?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Jan. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• Because it's a personal choice they have made.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I'm keeping this anony. because I already know.
    I smoked with one of my pregnancies, why, because I felt it wasn't really going to kill the kid. My Mother (along with millions of others) had smoked with all her pregnancies and did fine. I was an addict, smoked 12 yrs and I wasn't about to give it up for a chance of low birth weight. Anyhow, she came out 8.15 pounds, if I didn't smoke, maybe more. I quit a year or so after that, it is a nasty habit. Pretty much it is selfishness.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I smoked the first 5 months. I had been smoking for a long time before and it was really hard for me to quit, especially since i was working 10 hour days and smoking helped me relieve stress, and quitting suddenly can put stress on your body which also effects the baby. it was a hard process for me but i cut down alot and eventually by 5 months i quit completely.
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 9:55 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• My SIL was actually told NOT to quit by her doctor. She was a smoker of 1 - 2 packs a day when she got pregnant. The doctor told her that because of the shock cold turkey would do to her system and in effect the baby she would be putting the baby in danger if she quit. And that he wouldn't give her anything to help her quit because it was even more of a danger. And NO before you all say "Well, that must have been 25 years ago" It wasn't. My neice is only 9 months old...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:58 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I am no longger a smoker. I gave it up when I got preg. with my first. I have been pregnant or nursing ever since... But The day I am done nursing I'm going to get a pack... GOD I miss it!!

I don't see it as a big deal though... It's no worse that breathing the air in half the cities in this country... And through the 40's 50's 60's 70's and even 80's it wasn't uncommon for mothers to smoke while pregnant... We are all fine... What's the big?!? Really?

• Because they are selfish.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• SabrinaMBowen, I was told the same thing by my doctor, I was told if I quit cold turkey the baby could have serious complications from the stress. I cut down a lot though.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 10:08 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• i am not a smoker, and never have been so i don't know what its like so i'm not passing judgement on them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I like how if a woman does something while pregnant or with her own baby....something that works for her but another woman doesn't agree with...she's selfish.

Judgmental wenches.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• They don't care enough to stop.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:44 AM on Jan. 11, 2009