What can I do to make them taste better?

I HATE vegetables, and I don't eat them at all. I know they're healthy and I want to eat them, but they just taste horrible. What are some ideas to give them a better taste, without ruining the nutritional value of them? (It defeats the purpose if you add sugar to cooked carrots, IMO.) I refuse to eat anything with onion or celery, just so you are aware when giving ideas.

ReneeK3

Asked by ReneeK3 at 10:34 AM on Jul. 17, 2008 in Food & Drink

• When I steam mine, I add Mrs. Dash. Steaming maintains more nutritional content than boiling. But the Mrs. Dash gives them some flavor without the salt that my husband tries to use. (I have hidden the salt from him or he will use an entire shaker in 3 meals) Or make casseroles or meatloaves and mix them in. Spaghetti sauce and that type of thing can make a good cover up for veggies. Growing up, my mom would do that so my dad would eat veggies.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:40 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• honestly we just do raw veggies here 90%, and just add RANCH dressing.... I always felt thing taste better with it.

My kids love it too... granted at times they eat more RANCH then veggies, but its start in the right direction.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 10:37 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Use ranch or any kind of dressing you like? That's how I get me kids to eat them.
    Mumjen2

Answer by Mumjen2 at 11:36 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• im with u, i hate veggies. Alivia loves them but most of them she has to have raw which is fine. I have been eating more then i used to since i make them and alivia eats them. I try to set an example ya know. I find that greenbeans are better frozen and boiled rather then from the can and with lotsa A1 sauce lol. i also mix veggies with my potatoe and whatever meat im eating that day.
    cudybug

Answer by cudybug at 12:26 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• My husband used to absolutely HATE the following: mushrooms, asapargus, green beans, zuccini, squash.

What I do....I wrap my veggies in aluminum foil after I drizzle about 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil on them. Then I take garlic pepper, a tiny bit of lemon pepper, and some montreal steak seasoning (it has a great flavor) and I sprinkle all of that on them and I bake them in a preheated over for just about 6-7 minutes on 375 degrees. I DO NOT like my veggies soft, I like them still crunchy. Anyhow, they are delicious cooked this way. My 2 year old even loves it. And, hubby....well he gobbles them down so I always have to make quite a bit.
    HomeBoundMama

Answer by HomeBoundMama at 12:32 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• i use garic garlic from tastefully simple,,,,,,,it does miracles for veggies,,,,,,,they have a website
    cameron536

Answer by cameron536 at 12:35 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I absolutely love veggies. My kids do too. I think if you just keep trying them, like daily for a couple of weeks you may just develope a taste for them. They may not ever be your favorite food, but you won't hate them either.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 1:27 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I hate them too- so I sneak them in, I add baby food- like carrots, ect to most of my cooking, I don't taste it,but I know I am getting the health value :) But f I do actually cook them, roasting them tastes best in my opinion :) Just a little salt, pepper, EVOO in the oven at likr 400 for 10 to 15 mintes depending on the veggie :)
    jessicasea

Answer by jessicasea at 2:44 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Put cheese sauce over them :) or you can take shake and bake and do it with the veggies instead of the meat and then dip it in ranch or blue cheese dressing.
    JonahsMom1107

Answer by JonahsMom1107 at 4:49 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• steam them suckers so they aren't mushy and pour cheese on them. Use the campbells soup cheese soup for the cheese, it's easier.
    Eat your veggies!!
    romanceparty4u

Answer by romanceparty4u at 2:24 AM on Jul. 18, 2008