Why are people in the US so uptight about nudity?

I keep seeing stuff about how a mom should never undress or be naked in front of their son once he's 2 and a father should NEVER ever be naked in front of his girls once they are 1. And boy/girl siblings should never be naked in front of each other past 1/2 years old. Why?
Why is it such a big deal?
My husband showered with our girls until they were 4/5 years old. Our 7yo son and 6yo dd still change and bathe together. There's absolutely nothing sexual about it. Our 2yo daughter runs around naked and thinks it's funny.
We never made an issue out of it so it has never been an issue.
So why do people freak out about their kids seeing their parents/siblings naked?

justanotherjen

Asked by justanotherjen at 9:48 AM on Jan. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't get it either... Just because you are naked doesn't mean you are doing something sexual... My mother is one of those people that think skin should only be shown to your husband if you are having sex... Otherwise, do it alone. She think's it's strange that I let my kids go from the bathroom to the bed room naked after their bath... It's "gross" and "nasty". Please... What's the big?!?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:05 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I honestly don't get it either. My daughter (4 ) and son (2.5) still bathe together as well as have naked time together every night. They love to run around naked. My husband and I both shower with them sometimes and when we are getting dressed they are usually running in and out of the room. To be honest I don't think I have gone to the bathroom by myself in 4 years either (lol). We are not ashamed of being naked and don't want our kids to have issues with their own bodies when they get older.

Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 9:56 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I think its a personal choice is all. Some worry about if someone might call cps on them or whatever which you know is a big concern for alot of parents who might think they are doing the ok thing only to have a uptight cps worker yank your kids and accuse you of abuse. It happens everyday. Then of course we need to teach our kids how legally they cant go out naked etc. Some people are also more reserved with their own bodies.
    I never made an issue about my kids bathing together, sharing a bed, or sleeping with me. To each his own I say.

Answer by gemgem at 9:57 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I think its because we have become such a sexualized culture. Sex has become so main stream, that every little thing can be turned into something sexual. Its the same thing as the whole breast feeding "controversy" .I find it obsered.

my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 10:01 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I have to agree with you. My children are 11, 9, and 7 and now they are starting to ask for their privacy. When they were younger they never cared and we never made a big deal about it. My DD answered the door once and she was naked. She was about 2 and my sons friend was embarrassed and said "could you please ask your sister to put some clothes on."

I think that if you are to uptight about this then your children will never learn to except their bodies and they will think there is something wrong with being naked.

I do think that everyone has to do what is best for them.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:04 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• It is very cultural as far as the United States - you answered it in your title of the post. Many other nations are not as sensitive to showing skin as the United States. But there are a few that are more sensitive as well. Personally I do not have any issue with nakedness or my son, who is now 2, seeing my body in its unclothed form. But I have a friend who's husband stopped her from undressing with their child when he was two. He didn't feel it was right or appropriate. I will give my son privacy he needs as he gets older and is developing into puberty. But if he or I should catch a glimpse of a behind or private part - not a big deal. Nothing either one of us has not seen before. No reason for awkwardness or embarrassment. Just continue on with whatever we were doing.  The way I look at it is my son or grandchildren will be changing my adult diaper one day so I better be kind now and not make nudity an issue.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:08 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Because it's a personal feeling of what is right for a particular family and there should be no judgment either way.

If you don't want to be "uptight" about it, then don't. But don't look down on those who feel differently.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Because Adam & Eve ate from the tree of knowledge of good & evil and realized they were naked & felt ashamed. Man has wore clothing since.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:19 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• i dont think there is anything wrong with it my daughter is 16 months and she showers with me. my husband wont undress around her tho. i think if i had a boy at about age 2 i proble wouldnt shower with him anymore but i am sure my husband would. and i would let the kids bath together and everything intill they chose not to. some people are just weird about things like that
    mommy033

Answer by mommy033 at 10:28 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• ya i dont care.... lol my daughter seems me naked all the time but now she is 3 so my hubby is really careful.... lol
    BallardMomma

Answer by BallardMomma at 10:41 AM on Jan. 11, 2009