My 4-Year-Old's Mouth!!!

My 4-year-old son is a little mouthy. He is a very good child but he tells me and my husband no alot and just has a bad attitude sometimes. What type of punishment do you use for a bad mouth?

dhalinka

Asked by dhalinka at 10:16 AM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Well, is no ever an acceptable answer? It should be (if you're asking IF he wants to do something), but when no is not really an option, then give him choices that don't include yes/no (do you want to clean your room now or go to bed now and clean it in the morning?) Give him consequences clearly before requesting him to do something (please take out the garbage now or you will not be able to watch your video until it's done.). Stick to your consequences for every action. Always follow-through. If he's rude to you, remind him that the family doesn't speak like that and to use his manners. No manners, no response. Make sure everyone follows that rule or he won't see why he needs to. Reflect back to him the behavior your expect from him!
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 11:53 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Same that you use for any bad behavior. Time Out, Grounding, etc. Also watch the people around you and yourself and see how they talk. Do people say no, shut up or anything like that? If they do then also reprimand them for being bad mouthy ppl because kids learn from their environment.

Answer by gemgem at 10:18 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• pop him in the mouth, not hard, but just enough to get his attention.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Jan. 13, 2009