Does everyone use the cry out method to get their baby to go to sleep?

My daughter is 8 1/2 months old. To get her to go to sleep I give her a bottle between 7-9 (depending on the night) and I rock her to sleep (usually with music) she falls asleep pretty easily and I put her in her crib. Lately (she is teething) she has been waking up around 11 or so. I give her her paci, check her diaper etc, and then I just rock her back to sleep and put her back in her crib where she sleeps till about six. (Then I take her into my bed where she sleeps till about 8) I was wondering if everyone uses the cry out method... I dont have energy to keep walking in and out and letting her cry. Is that the only way to do it? I dont mind quickly rocking her back to sleep...

Babydust2020

Asked by Babydust2020 at 10:40 AM on Jul. 17, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The Crying out method is not the way to go.
    It makes the baby feel like it is being ignored, and no one cares. Its upsetting to the baby. The baby is teething and don't feel good, leaving her to cry it out only punishes her when all she wants is comfort from mommy. As a Mother, you have to suck it up and do whats right to help your little one, not do things just cause you are tired and want to rest. Thats not fair for the child. Thats my opinion!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• From that answer I see you didnt get my ?. I dont want to do the cry out method. I was wondering if that is the only way to go... Ppl tell me I should do it or my baby will get spoiled and will never sleep. I think its easier to just pick her up and rock her back to sleep, then to let her cry. I DONT want to let her cry...
    Babydust2020

Answer by Babydust2020 at 11:08 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• We don't let our daughter cry it out. I do wait a bit to see if she continues crying. Sometimes she will cry out in her sleep, but isn't awake and will just continue to sleep if I let her. If she continues to cry, I go to her, but I don't pick her up. I talk to her and she will generally go back to sleep that way. She has BAD separation anxiety and wakes every couple of hours and as long as she knows she isn't alone, will usually go back to sleep. If you want your daughter to get better sleep, maybe try some teething tabs for her teeth before bed.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:31 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I have a 3 1/2 mo. old and she's been sleeping through the night successfully since 6 weeks. I just keep her on a pretty tight schedule through the day and keep her two biggest naps in the morning and just let her play and cat nap through the afternoon-evening. I put her to bed at 8pm. Then wake her up around 10pm to breastfeed one last time then she sleeps until 6-7ish. Sometimes she's so tired she doesn't even want to feed and I just lay her back down. The key is to not start anything that you don't want to continue doing. I don't agree or disagree with the CIO method. But, I do believe babies need time to expand their lungs and exercise so a little fussing won't hurt. But, if she is screaming bloody-murder by all means pick her up. :) I've heard that a "chilled" paci works for teething too. PM me if you want more suggestions, but it sounds like she's doing pretty well sleeping from 11-6am. You might just have to tweek her schedule and she'll be fine in the next week.
    mrstremblay

Answer by mrstremblay at 12:26 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Crying it out is not bad for the baby. Infact it is often recomended by professionals. It helps the baby learn to soothe themselves and put themselves back to sleep. Can you imagine a 10 yo that still doesn't know how to put himself back to sleep if he wakes in the night? I never just let my kids cry just to cry, but if I know that they are only doing it for the attention then yes I do let them cry it out. They have to learn that bed time is bed time. Even at 8 1/2 months they are learning to manipulate the system. Crying will not hurt them.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 1:25 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Rock your baby. You enjoy it and so does she. I never used CIO and all 4 of my children sleep just fine. I never once had to sooth a 10 year old back to sleep.
    Momtocccd

Answer by Momtocccd at 2:27 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• my 3.5 month twins lay down at naps and bedtime without crying...this is what i do. TRY IT. When I first started teaching them, it was chaos! But just like any new trick--you have to 'practice'. So, every time she starts to cry--pick her up and soothe her; put her back down. Go to the door--and wait. This might take 50 times the first night--so have patience. Keep up with it and eventually she'll get used to being laid back down and go to sleep. Now, with in a few days you'll start to see that she's LEARNING. You have to teach your baby anything you want her to learn--and that includes soothing herself. So, try that and let me know how it works for you. Message me ifyou have any questions... :)
    jsks826

Answer by jsks826 at 2:31 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• i did at first and it lasted about 1 1/2 months but now at 9 months we lay her down at her bed time and she'll talk to herself for about 5-10 mins and then go to sleep
    harliesmommy09

Answer by harliesmommy09 at 3:10 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Cry it out method works for me. I loved it. The kids were safe, happy and after ten minutes or so they wear themselves out and go to sleep. An 8 month old is smarter than you think...she knows what she is doing. I believe it's a personal choice to use the Ferber method. If you don't to do that...rock her to sleep. Sounds like that's working for you.

And if she's teething get some Night Orajel..best stuff since sliced bread.
    Anonymous