Any tips on how to get a breastfed baby to take a bottle

My daughter has been trying to get her 6 month old to take a bottle because she is strarting to bite down on her nipples. Maybe part of teething. We've tried different formulas and bottles with no luck.

mmstacy24

Asked by mmstacy24 at 10:27 AM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried a sippy cup? When my son was about 5 months old he didn't want his bottle anymore (I also breastfed, but had to supplement cause I wasn't producing enough) and I started giving him a sippy cup! He could bite down on it and it would feel good on his gums and he took to them rather quickly. Maybe try a sippy cup? I think we used the playtex ones with two handles first. Now we use the playtex ones with Mikey Mouse and Cars on them... He is 2 now!:D Anyways good luck momma!
    Charlies_mommy

Answer by Charlies_mommy at 10:51 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Sippy cup with a flexible spout. Also is she pumping? That may help verses just going to formula. If she wants to be done breastfeeding after he gets used to the bottle start diluting with formula. Try breastfeeding for a couple minutes and then have the bottle handy and slip it in?
    My little guy only bit me twice - each time I took it away immediatly and he was done for that feeding. I nursed him for a year - With bottles supplementing for sitters or occasionally when my hubs would get up in the night to feed him.
    AligirlP

Answer by AligirlP at 11:29 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Oh I know exactly the situation you guys r going through. My first daughter breastfed until she was 15 months old but because I went to work my family introduced her to a bottle when she was three weeks old. she would hold out as long as she could during the day and then wait for me at nite. My second daughter NEVER would take a bottle, I tried every brand of bottle available and she adamently refused. I had to wait until she was 12 months old to have my wisdom teeth removed and that is how I weined her. My last daughter weined herself at 7months. If different bottles and time away from breastfeeding doesn't help, I don't know what would help, but I wish you guys luck in finding out.
    maemaesmom

Answer by maemaesmom at 11:33 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• ABSOLUTELY NOTHING worked with my dd around that age or even older.... I actually had Jury duty when she was 10 months old, i was gone for 13 hours and she REFUSED to take milk (breast milk, formula, regular milk, and chocolate milk - grandma got desperate!) the entire time I was gone. she just finally started accepting a sippy cup with whole milk in it about a couple of weeks before her first birthday, after seeing another little one with a sippy cup and wanting his! however with the biting thing, tell her to try pulling her into the breast when she bites, when you pull her in she has to let go to take a breath sounds mean, but it works (i was given this advice by a neonatal care specialist).
    L.a.u.r.a.

Answer by L.a.u.r.a. at 11:36 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Would it be in her interest to pump breastmilk and bottle it for him? Maybe he just doesn't like the taste of the formula?
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 1:40 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I would keep breastfeeding. Every baby bites down when they start to get teeth. You just need to teach them not to bite. A good shriek usually startles them and eventually teaches them that they are not to bite while feeding.

If she insists on bottle feeding, she should pump breast milk and have Daddy feed the baby when mom is nowhere in sight. If mom is around, baby will want the real thing. It may take some time, but the baby should eventually eat when she is hungry enough.
    LaurLaur623

Answer by LaurLaur623 at 2:41 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I have to disagree with answer number 6. In my experience it was easier for my son to take a bottle from me than from my husband.. I pumped a bottle and then immediately fed it to our son. While I held him, then transfered him and the bottle to my husband in the same feeding we did this about three times and then he was fine with bottles. He was 6 months old before I even attempted a bottle with him. I didn't even own a pump until then.
    AligirlP

Answer by AligirlP at 7:01 PM on Jan. 22, 2009