How can I get my 2.5 year old to take his medicine?

My son's pediatrician wants him to take amoxicillin twice a day for sinusitis. Yesterday was his first day on the medicine, and he screamed like a banshee when I gave it to him. He got so worked up that he cried until he coughed and gagged. Is there a way to make this easier for all of us?

Thanks in advance! :)

Lennon_Molly

Asked by Lennon_Molly at 10:29 AM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Bribe him. Tell him if you take your medication I will give you a cooky (what ever treat you are to give him). That might work.

Answer by louise2 at 10:35 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Ask the doctor if he could have chewable tablets. I'm not sure of the antibiotic, but I know one that my oldest received at one time was chewable.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:39 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I hide all my liquid medications in the juice. My son has autism and refuses to take his medications. So we hide it in the juice. We put the amount of medication in the glass and put the juice in and he drinks it with a straw. It works great for us.
    leeleesboys

Answer by leeleesboys at 10:48 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Put it in a drink?Or have some one else give it to him. My daughter wont take meds from me.But her dad and my friend have no problem..Also it works to sit crosslegged and lay him on your lap then try.. good luck :)
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 11:04 AM on Jan. 11, 2009