My husband and I are going to start trying this summer. I'd appreciate any advice to start preparing now. Thanks! :)

babywish2010

Asked by babywish2010 at 10:34 AM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• Go to the dr and get on pre natal vitamins.. its good to start taking those before.... and just to make sure your healthy.... good luck.... and keep track of your period starting now.. .like when you start when you end how many days it was.... light or heavy. Then you will be ready when you TTC. Good luck it only took us 2 months... :)
    BallardMomma

Answer by BallardMomma at 10:38 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Stop drinking coffee.Stop drinking alcoholic beverages.Start taking vitamins. Eat healthier.

Answer by louise2 at 10:40 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I would start taking the prenatal vitamins and have your DH/SO start taking Zinc which helps with his fertility. A great site to help you keep track of your body is mymonthlycycle.com You can track period and such from there and it also tells you when you are possible ovulating. Good luck momma!
    Charlies_mommy

Answer by Charlies_mommy at 11:06 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Start pre-natal vitamins, make sure you're getting plenty of folic acid, do not drink or smoke, have hubby do his part by not subjecting himself to hot tubs, saunas, hot showers, laptop on his lap - heat will destroy his swimmers. If he's not already doing so, have him wear boxers, not tighty-whities. You could start taking your basal temp to see what your ovulation cycle looks like. These were all things suggested to me by my doctors. I was told by numerous doctors when I was in my 20's that I'd never be able to conceive without intervention. HA! I have two beautiful children - no intervention. GOOD LUCK!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Start treating your body as if you are already pregnant. My other piece of advice is don't tell anyone. If you do people will constantly be asking you if you are pregnant yet. That can really start to get annoying.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 11:32 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• As long as you're a healthy person, there isn't really anything you "need" to do to prepare. You could take prenatals, it's not a bad idea to take them, but if you didn't want to, then it won't hurt. I wouldn't stop drinking coffee and alcoholic beverages ... that seems very drastic. As long as you're not getting loaded every night, then a beer or wine per night is fine. I was told, when I was 7 wks pregnant but my OB's nurse, that I can have one cup of coffee AND a can of soda per day and it would be fine for the baby.

I wanted to have a baby in early summer, so we started trying a few months earlier than normal because it can take, on average, 6 months to get pregnant.

Buy "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" ... it is the BEST book to understand fertility and your cycle. I was able to tell, by looking at cues my body was giving, when I was ovulating. I got a + pregnancy test after 3 months.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 12:11 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Hi! Get your body ready with proper nutrition. Make sure your weight in in line. Start to take prenatal vitamins and have an annual visit with your Gynecologist. You may even want to stop birth control if it is pills, and use another source, like condoms, until your cycle is normal. Some would suggest 3 months. Congrats on this big decision! You should be proud that you are thinking this thru! I wish you the best!
    Scimecamommy

Answer by Scimecamommy at 2:10 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Pick up a copy of "Taking Charge Of Your Fertility" and start tracking your cycles. Pregnancy on the first attempt if you follow it precisely. Really.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:18 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Great answer ap9902! I agree with what you said. When I got pregnant, I was 27 and it only took me 3 months without taking all these drastic measures. As we age, our fertility changes and it becomes harder.
    Yve538

Answer by Yve538 at 2:25 PM on Jan. 11, 2009