my 5 year old daughter seems to be regressing. She crys about everything, stopped sleeping through the night, wines none stop, acts out in public, stopped listing to me and trys to make me feel bad about almost everything. Shes always been pretty well behaved but all the sudden i dont know what happened. Im at a loss of what to do i've tried everything. Please can someone help me?

Brandy8308

Asked by Brandy8308 at 11:10 AM on Jan. 11, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• by any chance is she in pre-school too me it sounds like something has happen and it is bothering her big time but she feels she can't tell you let her know that she can talk to mommy about anything and you will not be mad at her you are there too help her
    greeniemommy

Answer by greeniemommy at 12:27 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Did she start kindergarten this year? My son has had some similar issues, and we figured out it is stress from school. From our perspective, kindergarten seems like a vacation, but to a little kid it can be hard. There is a lot of activity in the typical classroom, and many interactions between all the children. Thsi is hard for a child who is used to a quiet home with just a sibling or two. For a sensitive child (like mine) seeing a child treat another badly, as children sometimes do, is very upsetting, even if he isn't involved. I guess I'm saying there are many things that can be a big deal to a child, that we wouldn't expect to upset them. It doesn't mean anything is being done wrong at her school, but perhaps she needs your help to sort out her feelings about the normal classroom environment.
    yarnjunkie

Answer by yarnjunkie at 12:35 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Has anything changed because it sounds like there is some problems coping with something going on and I would let her know that if there is anything she needs to tell you even if someone else has told her not to she can tell you and not to scare you but I would talk to her about if anyone is touching her just tell her if anyone every touches her and it is in a private area even if they say not to tell no matter what you would never be mad at her because it is never her fault and just remind her from time to time about it becuse you never know and a predator will tell them not to tell. Once again I am not trying to scare you but I want your little one to feel and be safe. I was molested as a child and was acting out a lot and everyone just said I was out of control and at school they put me in a cubicle so I couldn't be bad.
    X-mansmommy870

Answer by X-mansmommy870 at 6:16 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I've read that age 5 is a challenging year developmentally, just like age 2. It's another phase we must work through.
    Trinjo

Answer by Trinjo at 9:06 PM on Jan. 12, 2009