What am I doing wrong? I exclusively breastfeed and my 12 week old son is still waking up to feed two to three times a night!

How do I get him to drop a feed? He used to sleep 6-7 hours until I went on a diet--could my diet have affected my milk supply? Help!

Crommy78

Asked by Crommy78 at 11:11 AM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He's probably going through a growth spurt , just keep feeding him .
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 11:15 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I AGREE WITH MESHELL7. IM ON A DIET TOO AND BREASTFEDDING AND MY SON SEEMS TO BE SLEEPING UP TO 5 HRS STRAIGHT HES ONLY 7 WEEKS OLD.
    hmomr

Answer by hmomr at 11:20 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Sounds normal. Babies change their sleep habits all the time. Nurse him when want it.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 11:21 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• A diet could effect you milk supply. Are you making sure you are getting enough nutrients for both of you? Anyway, he could just be going through a growth spurt like some of the other posters said.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 11:27 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• you really shouldn't diet while you're breastfeeding, its not necessary.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• you are not doing anything wrong. he maybe going through a growth spurt.
    Is he nursing less during the day now?
    mrsray45

Answer by mrsray45 at 11:48 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I agree with the growth spurt answers ;-)
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 1:02 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Breastfed babies eat more often than formula fed babies. They're bodies digest the breastmilk quickly. Eating that often is completely normal.
    Elijahsmommy9

Answer by Elijahsmommy9 at 4:03 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• It is completely normal for a baby this age to still need to nurse during the night. Keep in mind that he has a set amount of breastmilk that he needs in a given day. Sometimes you can encourage them to nurse more frequently during the day and they won't need to nurse as much during the night. See When Will My Baby Sleep Through the Night at http://www.llli.org/FAQ/sleep.html

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:16 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• From own experience I know that when I ate onions, garlic, spicy food etc of that nature, my son would not nurse. it can cause massive amounts of gas and the milk will taste differently to them. Also, I agree with others here. 12wks is about the right time for a growth spurt
    Sarah_ponder

Answer by Sarah_ponder at 2:45 AM on Jan. 12, 2009