Should I or Shouldn't I go to first day of pre school?

I am having trouble with this, I was told that I could ride the bus and stay the day with my daughter for her first day of Head Start (pre school). I would love to do this but do not want her to feel like I am going to be there all the time. I am thinking of just taking her for her first day stay for breakfast and leave and then pick her up too see how her day was. That way I can talk with the teacher. What did you other pre school Mommies do for the first day?

jem102675

Asked by jem102675 at 11:19 AM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• as a preschool teacher, let me recommend that you and your daughter visit the school and stay, together, for an hour or so, while she's assimilated into the group.(call to set it up with the director first, to find out the best time to be there, for circle time, small group activities... ). then, on her first day, let her take the bus (i can't believe they bus preschoolers!). make sure she knows that you will be waiting RIGHT THERE, when the bus brings her back. and don't be late. she has to trust that you'll be there. good luck!
    vickiathome

Answer by vickiathome at 12:27 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I took him in, helped him put his stuff in his cubby, introduced him to his teacher, showed him where he could play until the other kids were there.....

....he started to walk away from me, looked over his shoulder and yelled "bye mommy" and took off running to go play.

Both of my older ones did that...lol
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:49 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I suggest you prepare your daughter for the transition. Tell her what you plan to do. Prepare her for it by mentioning it a few days ahead, then the day before, then the night before, then the morning as you're getting ready to go. When you get to school, remind her again, do exactly as you say (stay, eat breakfast, talk to the teacher) and let your daughter know when you are going to leave (mommy needs to talk to the teacher and then I'll say bye-bye to you before I leave. I'll come back this afternoon.). Maybe ask the teacher what activity will be happening when you plan on picking her up so you can give her another reference point as well.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 12:06 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Ours was pretty cut and dried b/c all of the parents were expected to be there on 1st day at my son's and daughter's preschools (they went to different preschools). Actually... our kindergarten does this, too. So ours is nice b/c there's no guess work. But next year I'll have another one in preschool and one in kindergarten and I'm really hoping they don't do the Parents' Day on the same day. Anyway, I digress, sorry...

I agree w/ JPsMommy... whichever way you decide just prep her ahead of time with what is going to happen whichever way you decide and I'm sure she'll make a great transition!

SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 1:00 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Do you think that she will have difficulty separating from you when it is time for you to go? If she does have trouble with you leaving when you have left her at other times, then the less time you spend at the school the better it will be. Parents who linger often make the child feel that they are not capable of being there on their own. Show her she can be confident and is big enough to be at school. I teach pre-k and when parents help the kids get started and say good bye quickly, the kids do better.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 5:30 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• we were in the process of mocing when preschool first started, so my daughter didnt start until november..but, my mom and i both took her to her first day, they said we could stay the whole time, but as soon as we got there,my daughter was like "ok mom you can go now" lol..so i stayed about 10-15 minutes, then i left..she was perfectly fine and happy!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 5:35 PM on Jan. 11, 2009