We decided not to use walkers / exersaucers because of all the evidence that they can be detrimental. But what do I do with my son now that he is mobile enough to need containment but still can't sit unsupported?

He is 5 months and can sit supported. But he gets bored easily. He is a very proficient roller. He HATES to lay down.

firstimemom4049

Asked by firstimemom4049 at 3:25 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am by myself 5 days of the week and sometimes 10 or more days in a row. My daughter loves her jumperoo but most of the time I have her on the floor of what ever room I am doing whatever I need to do. I surround her with her toys and she goes nuts. When I am in my basement she goes in her playpen so, I can work out!
    Babyduche

Answer by Babyduche at 8:55 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Exersaucers can be detrimental yes, but so can just about everything else. As long as he is supervised he will be perfectly fine in one, they really are safe. He will love it, you'll see. Babies R Us has some really amazing ones. They also have jumperoos that he would like (not the doorway ones) Also our daughter (6 months)loves to sit in her Bumbo with the tray on and have her little toys on the tray and play. Hope this helps :-)
    Anonymous

• Jumperooes rock!!!!
    Chris127

Answer by Chris127 at 3:42 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Your instinct to avoid walkers is excellent for three reasons Answers must be limited to 1000, so I have to talk about each reason separately. If your child cannot sit unsupported, he should definitely not be in a contraption which holds him upright. Being carried by you, his back supported by your arms, is healthy for him, but not propped like a sack of potatoes. He is a very proficient roller. What better way for him to gain both the command over his body, which began back when he was an infant first lifting his head, and the muscle strength for sitting up? He NEEDS to be doing this rolling!Adjust the room you're in so he can freely move around in it, don't aim for confinement. You can work around his needs for the few weeks that he'll be in this phase. As for how he hates to lie down, you and your family can carry him. Carrying a baby for his first year has incredible benefits for him and for anyone lucky enough to do the carrying.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 4:49 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• A 2nd reason to avoid walkers, bouncers, etc.: The whole essence of a child younger than 6 or 7 is to interact with the world. Every fibre of his being NEEDS this for developing his coordination and his intelligence. If you hold him back from reaching and touching the things he sees around him, then you only hinder this. You might as well put him under a cardboard box, though you might not realize it. As an adult, you are long past this phase of total involvement: for you, seeing is enough, you don't compellingly NEED to get close and touch like a young child does. Is it inconvenient for a mom who wants to be busy with other things? Yes. Relating with him constantly, letting him roam freely within the room with you, carrying him a great deal; this does get in the way of living as if you had no child. But think about it. He needs this for a couple of months. You would not deny him learning to talk or read, yet this mental development is more comprehensive and fundamental.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 5:12 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• We actually used exersaucers with all of our children, BUT ONLY when they were 6 months and up and sitting on their own. They are wonderful and all of our children developed very strong leg muscles and walked really early! With our youngest two, the Bumbo was out and we used that. That is designed for children 3 months and up and is a great way to let your children sit up and view the world!! They even come with trays for toys or snacks.
    mommytoadam

Answer by mommytoadam at 5:16 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My daughter has the rainforest jumperoo since she was 5 months old. It lets them bounce and play with a bunch of toys and is totally safe. Im like you and don't allow walkers in the my house and the jumperoo is her favorite thing to this day.
    Babyduche

Answer by Babyduche at 5:24 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• A 3rd problem with walkers, bouncers: A pre-toddler's command over his limbs is still uncertain. Too much aimless twitchy kicking or flailing feeds back into the brain and sets up a more scattered, distracted mentality (obviously this is a dreadfully brief explanation). A baby needs to be very active, but also PURPOSEFULLY active - his legs and arms obeying his aims: GETTING somewhere, grabbing something, throwing, splashing, pouring, carrying; giving to you and receiving back again, over and over, endlessly. This is how the physical body becomes a human being. Congratulations on your trustworthy instinct, and I hope you give yourself the chance to fully enjoy presenting the world to your child, now and as he grows up. Hands-on mothering is the most joyful experience we can have.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 5:25 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Thanks for the answers guys. But I am home by myself 5 days a week. I can't carry him everywhere with me. He weighs almost 22 lbs. He gets bored with rolling around. My only objecting to walkers is how wide the leg thing is giving them bow legs. And this would apply to most of what you suggested. I have a jumper and he hates it, lol.
    firstimemom4049

Answer by firstimemom4049 at 7:08 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I think if you use everything in moderation they aren't going to develop abnormally. I have two children 16 years apart and my daughter used a jumper (the kind in the doorway because that's all they had) and a walker and she is a superb athlete. The only thing about walkers is just to be sure they are well supervised and not getting into areas they can get hurt in or near the stairs. My son who is 16 months was in the jumperoo and walker at 4 months old and is quite coordinated and started taking steps at 9 months just like my daughter. I think variety is key and plenty of floor time to get their muscles stronger. I think so much of the negative is so overrated. My kids are both fine and not bow legged so I wouldn't play too much into the walker thing. They still sell them for a reason.
    HappyDays007

Answer by HappyDays007 at 8:28 PM on Jun. 19, 2008